The Law of Attraction

The Law of Attraction is a concept most people look at as a way to manifest reality. (Tom Roleleveld/Flickr Creative Commons)

If anyone out there is super into the Zen life, you may have heard of the Law of Attraction. This is a concept most people look at as a way to manifest your reality. Manifestation is essentially speaking or thinking things into existence. For example, if you really want to get better grades next semester or get a new job, you should say affirmations every day and speak those goals into existence. Telling yourself “this will happen,” in theory, means it will happen.

This can be difficult to get into, especially when you’re in a stressful environment like college. I find starting good mental health habits over a break or an extended period of time where you have the freedom helps more. However, the Law of Attraction can be used whenever you want to manifest something. Since this semester is coming to an end, now would be a good time to start manifesting good grades on your finals.

I know this may sound silly, but there is some truth to your mindset affecting your life. If you constantly think negatively, you will constantly have negative experiences. If you keep a positive mindset and keep reminding yourself of the things you want to achieve, they can and will be achieved, you will be happier and move closer to those goals. This concept supposedly originated from an old Buddhist teaching, from which we get the term “karma.” We all know the saying “you get what you give,” and this is essentially what the Law of Attraction is saying.

This Law is known to be used in terms of relationships, career goals, health and fitness goals and pretty much any other life goal. If you believe the universe has power over us, this isn’t a hard theory to support. Everything we do will, in some way, come back to us. Taking necessary steps to get into a good space mentally will benefit you in the end. Plus your energy attracts certain types of people. The energy we exude is the energy we attract. The same goes for all the other parts of life. If you want a new job, think it into existence.

I haven’t tried this theory yet, but countless documentaries feature people who say it really works. There’s no question the universe is playing a huge part in each of our lives and this theory proves it’s more involved than we think. Still, we have to keep in mind that we have to pull our own weight in these situations too. Consistently keeping a positive mindset and speaking or thinking our goals into existence is definitely something to work on; we may be surprised at how things work out.

Tessa Pawlik is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at tessa.pawlik@uconn.edu.