How to turn your dorm into a haunted house

Go to Savers. Savers always has tons of decorations for a fraction of the price of CVS’. Even so, decorations can still be pricey, so you need to keep an eye out for cheap ones that create a big impact. (Blake Handley/Flickr Creative Commons)

The leaves on the trees are changing colors and everything we eat and drink is steadily tasting more like pumpkin spice. This can only mean one thing: it’s almost Halloween! Halloween is about more than just creepy and/or sexy costumes and free candy. It’s about decorating your dorm room to the nines with spooky and cute decorations! Here are some tips for making your room into your own personal haunted house without spending hundreds of dollars on CVS-brand decor.

Go to Savers. Savers always has tons of decorations for a fraction of the price of CVS’. Even so, decorations can still be pricey, so you need to keep an eye out for cheap ones that create a big impact. The very best cheap, big decoration is a bag of fake spider webs. These webs can cover the entire breadth of your ceiling or walls. They’re super fun and come in a variety of kinds. Some of them can be in fun colors, some are glow-in-the-dark and the very best come with little plastic spiders. If you leave the section explicitly set out for Halloween and head over to the regular fall-themed decor, prices drop exponentially. This is because most of the stuff in the Halloween section is brand new, whereas the decor section is used and yet still to theme. There you can find antique decorations for just a couple dollars.

Pumpkins are also surprisingly cheap. Price Chopper has mini pumpkins for less than a dollar. They’re adorable and don’t take up too much space in your room. Larger pumpkins cost a little more depending on where you go, but they’re worth it if you’re into pumpkin carving, and Late Night sometimes gives them out for free. Not only can you make the decoration your own, but you can have a lot of fun creating it. Some people on campus have held pumpkin carving parties with their friends in the past and have had a blast doing it.

You can also make decorations out of things you have just lying around your room. With some markers or colored pencils, you can transform lined paper into a scary gravestone or a smiling jack-o-lantern. You can also wrap ping pong ball-sized rocks in tissues and draw a cute face on them to create little ghosts to either hang up or stick on your walls. There are tons of ideas for DIY Halloween decorations online like this that can make your room look amazing and home-y for no cost.

There’s no better way to make friends than to prop the door of your dorm room open when it’s fully decorated for Halloween. It’s pretty much the conversation starter of the century, and a great way to make your floor neighbors jealous. It’s also just really nice to have during the stress and ridiculous amount of studying you’ll be going through during midterms. So get into the spirit of Halloween and add a little flare to your room. You won’t have another chance to decorate like this until Christmas, so go all out!

Rebecca Maher is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.l.maher@uconn.edu.