Lung Cancer Walk Hits Hartford for 12th Year

PAWARF is hosting a breast cancer walk this weekend (NBC Connecticut)

The people of Hartford will gather at Rentschler Field this Sunday, not for a UConn football game, but for the twelfth annual Lung Cancer Research Foundation’s Hartford Free to Breathe Walk. Hundreds will gather to walk around the concourse surrounding Rentschler Field to raise awareness and funds for the deadly disease.

Funds from the event will benefit the foundation’s mission to improve the outcomes of cancer diagnoses as well as the prevention of diagnoses and the treatments involved.

The Lung Cancer Research Foundation (LCRF) funds clinical and translational lung cancer research through their Scientific Grant Program. The nonprofit organization has raised $31 million for 348 research grants while continuing to raise awareness and fund educational programs, according to the event’s press release.

“Lung cancer is the number one cause of cancer death not only here in the US, but around the world,” Brendon M. Stiles, MD, LCRF Board Chair, said via the event’s press release. “[W]e are making a difference by funding research that has the potential to improve outcomes for those affected by lung cancer.”

The walk, one of many Free to Breathe events, starts at noon on Sunday, October 7, 2018, with participant check-ins beginning at 10:30 a.m.. The event’s opening rally will kick-off the walk at 11:30 a.m. by recognizing the event’s top fundraisers and anyone who raises at least $100 will receive an official event t-shirt.

Kevin Arnold is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu.