Softball: Three games, three wins

The Huskies are heading into the winter with a sweep under their belts, a sign of good things to come in the Spring. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

The UConn softball team wrapped up their hyper localized assortment of fall games by sweeping the weekend.

After playing and beating Army and Central Connecticut State in previous weekends, the team faced Boston College on Friday evening in Chestnut Hill and hosted University of Hartford on Saturday for a doubleheader.

The Huskies kicked things off with a 7-2 victory against BC. The game was supposed to be played as the fall opener for both team in mid-September, but the game was postponed. The result bodes well for UConn who has traditionally played BC in a midweek nonconference game each year during their primary spring season.

The next morning on Burrill Family Field against Hartford at 11 a.m., UConn continued their strong play against the Hawks. According to the UConn Softball Twitter, “It was a fun day at Burrill Family Field! Our doubleheader sweep was filled with solid pitching, highlight reel defense and explosive hitting throughout the lineup.”

That may have been an understatement. The Huskies overpowered the visiting Blue Devils by 10 runs twice, 11-1, and 10-0 in consecutive games.

Junior outfielder Reese Guevarra and junior infielder Kiwi McDaniel had particularly strong performances at the dish. Several members of UConn’s large freshman class also picked up their first collegiate hits during the trio of games.

It concludes a strong fall season of games in which the Huskies performed well. Out of play, UConn also engaged in rewarding endeavors like wearing green ribbons and using the #Pow6rfulMinds hashtag on social media for Mental Health Awareness Week, raising awareness for National Ovarian Cancer Awareness month in September and continuing their partnership with Team Impact and Abbie Brouker, a 12-year-old from Farmington, Connecticut.

The Huskies are done until spring time but rather than hibernate will engage in strength and conditioning and indoor practice. Their 2019 spring schedule has not been released yet, but the Huskies typically travel to the south or west coast for several tournaments in the early spring. They then enter into American conference play with local non-conference opponents midweek.

Matt Barresi is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.barresi@uconn.edu.