America needs Trump’s border wall

People watch as President Donald Trump addresses the crowd during a campaign rally Saturday, Oct. 6, 2018, in Topeka, Kan. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

President Trump recently signed an $854 billion spending bill to prevent a government shutdown. He stated that the plan ought to “rebuild our military, protect our communities, and deliver a better future for Americans.” Sounds phenomenal, except for the fact that a crucial component is absent from this piece of legislation: Funding for the border wall.

The president has long promised, in Trumpian fashion, to build a grand and beautiful wall along the U.S. southern border designed to clot Central America’s hemorrhaging of illegal immigrants into the United States like the bleeding of money from President Obama’s economy. In essence, America is suffering from an illegal infestation like never before. It’s costly and it’s dangerous. The president has pledged to fix it.

Trump expressed his dismay at the failure to secure funding for the wall, venting, “I want to know, where is the money for Border Security and the WALL in this ridiculous Spending Bill.”

America needs the wall, and consequently, sufficient funding.

The United States of America is a sovereign nation, meaning that it has the right to build and maintain borders. I have news for Democrats advocating for the abolishment of ICE and open border policy: America will have borders and security will be enforced for the sake of American citizens, including those Americans who have invested the time and money to immigrate here legally.

America has been invaded by approximately 12.5 million illegal immigrants, costing taxpayers an estimated $134.9 billion per year, according to the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR). The burden on taxpayers is only mounting, having increased by nearly $3 billion over the past four years.

Many Democrats deny that illegal immigration is a problem, even purporting that Trump’s desire for a wall borders on racism.

Congressman Beto O’Rourke declared that the wall is racist and scoffed at the notion that illegal immigrants, the law-abiding saints they are, could possibly be committing crime. He argued, “[w]hen you begin with the premise that Mexico is sending rapists and criminals to the U.S. and you meet that with a wall, that wall in itself is a racist reaction to a racist myth that does not reflect the reality of this country at all.”

Aside from sneaking across the border, which is a criminal act in and of itself, illegal immigrants are far likelier to commit violent crimes in America than their legal counterparts. Upon studying the statistics presented by the Cato Institute it is evident that, in the state of Texas, which suffers from among the highest rates of illegal immigration, illegal aliens are “568 percent more likely to be convicted of the same crime than legal immigrants.” In addition, “[i]llegal immigrants are 532 percent more likely to commit sexual assaults than legal immigrants.”

A central defense among the left is the fact that illegal immigrants commit a lower percentage of crime than American citizens. Duh. There are 25 times as many Americans as illegal aliens. The left’s flawed logic is damaging to its midterm hopes, but more so to legal immigrants, good people who come here the right way.

On average, the United States grants citizenship to nearly one million immigrants per year. These individuals, in claiming their rightful share of the American dream, incur unimaginable costs. According to Elizabeth Ricci, a prominent immigration attorney, “a ‘Petition for Alien Relative’ comes with a filing fee of $535, an ‘Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status’ costs $1,140 in fees, and an ‘Immigrant Petition by Alien Entrepreneur’ is the most expensive at $3,675 in filing fees.” In addition to these payments, legal immigrants and their families incur a host of other expenses for various applications and statuses.

Democrats argue that the wall is an unnecessary burden on the American taxpayer, but I would argue that it’s actually a blue-chip investment.

As you know, illegal immigration costs taxpayers nearly $134.9 billion per year. President Trump, the real estate mogul notorious for coming in early and under budget, can deliver for $21.6 billion, according to the DHS. What a deal, folks, believe me.

Trump’s border wall is a necessity and must receive funding. Illegal immigration is not only unfair to those waiting in line, but incredibly unethical. If you want to see the show, you have to buy a ticket.

Kevin Catapano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.catapano@uconn.edu.