Swimming: Huskies drop first meet of season

The Huskies dropped the first meet of the season, losing to LSU and Navy. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The UConn swimming and diving team competed in its first meet of the season this weekend against Navy and LSU in a two-day event at the U.S Naval Academy. The Huskies lost 224.0-129.0 against Navy and 286.0-67.0 vs. LSU in the 38-event weekend. Many athletes showed outstanding performances during competition.

Monica Marcello

Senior captain Monica Marcello scored third place in the 1M and second place in the 3M after coming back from an injury last season.

Ryan Dulaney

Ryan Delaney scored second place in the 1000 M freestyle and fourth place in the 500 free (5:03.20), which was a personal best for the sophomore.

Will Kearsey

Junior Will Kearsey placed third in the 50 free and 100 free. In his premier backstroke event, Kearsey finished third in the 100. Finally, in the 100 IM, Kearsey finished 5th.

Megan Wenman

Megan Wenman also recorded top-10 finishes in the 50 free, 100 free and helped the 200 free relay team earn a third-place finish. The team of Wenman, Jackie Van Lew, Jennie Novak and Brazil Rule raced to a 1:36.55.

Many Huskies participated in their first career meets. Freshman Anna Mecca placed sixth in the 100 breast and sixth in the 200 medley relay. Lena Redisch captured a sixth-place finish in the 500 free. Jack Gray placed fifth in the 1,000 free and sixth in the 500 free, while Emils Jurcik captured a pair of sixth place finishes in the 200 Free and 200 IM.

The Huskies return to action for their home opener against SCSU on Saturday, Oct. 20 at the Wolff-Zackin Natatorium beginning at 1 p.m.

Julia Dowd is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at julia.dowd@uconn.edu.