Top Husky performances over the weekend

Kennadie Jake-Turker spikes the ball against a Cincinnati block during a game on Sunday, Oct. 7 at Gampel Pavilion. (Judah Shingleton, Staff Photographer/The Daily Campus)

This past weekend was an exciting one for UConn athletics. Here are some Huskies who truly made an impact for their teams:

Savannah Bouzide, Women’s Ice Hockey

In a game which exchanged leads several times, the UConn women’s ice hockey team refused to go down without a fight against Vermont. Sophomore forward Bouzide scored the game-winning goal for UConn in the final minutes.

Abdou Mbacke Thiam, Men’s Soccer

The Huskies capitalized over the weekend with a big win over Cincinnati, in which the presence of senior forward Thiam played a major role for the Huskies. Thiam managed to score his seventh goal of the season on a breakaway. He currently leads the team in goals.

Kennadie Jake-Turner, Volleyball

Freshman middle blocker Kennadie Jake-Turner has proven to be a key player for UConn volleyball. Jake-Turner finished Friday night against East Carolina with 10 kills and two blocks, while she finished Sunday afternoon’s game against Cincinnati with seven kills and four blocks. Her presence at the net is a force to be reckoned with.

Svea Boker, Field Hockey

Although the UConn field hockey suffered its second-straight defeat, junior Boker turned in another strong performance on Sunday afternoon. Boker notched her ninth goal of the season, trailing only senior Cecile Pieper in goals scored. The goal cut into No. 5 Princeton’s 2-0 lead, but the Tigers dominated from there, handing the Huskies a tough loss in front of a packed home crowd.

Hanaisha Lewis is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hanaisha.lewis@uconn.edu.