Melissa’s Menu: Apple cinnamon oatmeal bars

Apple cinnamon oatmeal bars are a perfect recipe to try if you want something simple to bake that’s a little more creative than apple pie. (screenshot/tasty.co)

If fall could have a flavor, it would be apple. This delicious and versatile fruit comes into season in the fall – hence why apple picking is so popular this time of year. There are so many delicious apple-based desserts that are the perfect finish to any fall meal. This week’s recipe is a perfect recipe to try if you want something simple to bake that’s a little more creative than apple pie. These apple cinnamon oatmeal bars are super yummy and only require a few simple ingredients and steps. Everyone knows that apple and cinnamon are a match made in heaven, and these bars prove it.

Ingredients (for 12 bars)
3 apples, thinly sliced
1/4 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of cornstarch
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
2 cups of flour
2 cups of old-fashioned oats
1 cup of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda

1/2 teaspoon of salt

3/4 cup butter, melted

Directions
Remove the core and thinly slice each apple. Place apple slices in a large bowl and gently mix in sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In another bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and butter. Mix until crumbly. Line a nine by 13-inch baking dish with parchment paper and pour 2/3 of the oats mixture in the bottom of the pan, pressing firmly to pack it down and make a crust. Pour apples over the crust and spread in an even layer. Pour the remaining oat mixture over the top and spread evenly. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting.

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.