Hang Onto That Halloween Candy: Post-Halloween dessert recipes

If you really don’t feel like baking or making some elaborate recipe, though, simply cut up your candy, buy some hot fudge, whipped cream and ice cream and invite your friends over for a post-Halloween ice cream sundae bar! (slgckgc/Flickr Creative Commons)

Though Halloween is over, don’t let all of that delicious candy go to waste! Of course, you could just eat it all straight, but here are some fun recipe ideas that incorporate all sorts of treats. Get ready to dig in!

Candy in cookies

Eating your candy right out of the wrapper is boring. Why not wrap it in more sugar and then eat it? Choose some of your favorite chocolate candies to either mix into your favorite kind of cookie dough or to use to create “surprise” cookies.

Instead of a traditional chocolate chip cookie, chop candy like Kit-Kats, Heath bars, Twix or Crunch into smaller pieces and substitute this for chocolate chips. Or, just add some M&M’s to the dough; when the cookies come out of the oven, the candy will be all melted and will taste delicious!

Instead of adding your candy to your cookie dough, you could make the dough and then wrap it around a fun-size Reese’s peanut butter cup or half of a fun-size Snickers for a “Reese’s Surprise” or “Snickers Surprise” cookie. Many recipes like this can be found simply by Googling “candy surprise cookie,” but some of the most delicious ones are peanut butter cups wrapped in peanut butter cookie dough! When the cookies are cool, melt some of your Hershey’s chocolate bars and drizzle the chocolate on top of the cookies to use up even more of your candy.

No-bake recipes

For a simpler, no-bake recipe, melt some chocolate (either from candy bars, chocolate chips or chocolate melts), pour it into a parchment paper-lined sheet pan and then simply top it with some cut-up pieces of your favorite candies. You can get creative by swirling in another kind of chocolate or adding other mix-ins like marshmallows, pretzels or cereal. Try a simple chocolate bark by adding only gummy bears, Nerds or candy corn.

An even easier recipe is just to add your candy to some trail mix. An easy mix is Cheerios, nuts, pretzels and M&M’s. If you want a s'mores flavor, mix Golden Grahams, mini marshmallows and broken-up chocolate bars. (You could also turn this mix into a rice crispy treat-type dessert with the recipe here. Some good candies to try in a trail mix recipe are Mounds, Crunch and mini Reese’s. Also experiment with different mix-ins like dried fruit, yogurt-covered raisins and coconut flakes.

Other ideas

While you can use candy as a mix-in in trail mix or chocolate bark, you can also cut up chocolate candies to add to your other favorite dessert recipes. You can incorporate candy into Rice Crispy treats, brownies, blondies, fudge and even pie! (Check out this recipe for a Snickers pie.

If you really don’t feel like baking or making some elaborate recipe, though, simply cut up your candy, buy some hot fudge, whipped cream and ice cream and invite your friends over for a post-Halloween ice cream sundae bar!

Stephanie Santillo is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at stephanie.santillo@uconn.edu.