How to recycle your ‘boo-tiful’ Halloween costume

If you’re feeling creative and you have a more put-together costume this year, you can utilize parts of the fabric for holiday or regular decor. (Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus)

Don’t be frightened by the thought of your beloved Halloween costume going to waste as soon as the clock hits Nov. 1. There are plenty of ways for the spirit (and your hard-earned time and money) of your costume to live on throughout the year. From reusing parts of your costume into your daily outfits to reinventing them into something else entirely, don’t be afraid to get creative.

The easiest way to reuse this year’s Halloween costume is to just reuse it next year...or parts of it, if you don’t want to feel like a fashion faux pas (but unless you have a lot of photos, no one will really notice or care). Wear that plaid shirt from your Brawny paper towel costume with some overalls and be a scarecrow next year. Use the glittery dress or top from your mermaid costume this year, add some wings and glam makeup and dress up as a fairy next year. The white toga (or bedsheet, let’s be real) you wore as a Greek goddess can be paired with a headpiece of snakes to terrify as Medusa.

The best thing about making costumes from scratch is that you use pieces from your wardrobe you can continue to use on a daily basis. Dress up a as character from “The Office” this year? You can definitely wear Angela’s pencil skirt or Jim’s button-up to some business casual event for school. If your costume was some kind of athletic player, you can use parts of it when you hit the gym to burn off that Halloween candy. The white oversized t-shirt you wore to be a ghost can be your next favorite pajama shirt. A tropical-themed shirt and some shades will be perfect for your next trip to the beach.

You are bound to have to dress up for some spirit days for school or other dress-up occasions, so save your costume for those opportunities as well. Maybe your friend is having a themed birthday party, or SUBOG’s Late Night might host a costume contest for one of their themed nights. You’ll be ready for character day with your superhero costume!

Exchange your costume with friends! Any friend that envied your cute costume this year will be grateful to rock it the following year. Swap for an exciting and more cost-effective Halloween next year, and you won’t have to waste time worrying after midterms about what you’ll dress as. And if you don’t have any takers, donate your costume to either a younger sibling, family member or at the nearest donation center.

If you’re feeling creative and you have a more put-together costume this year, you can utilize parts of the fabric for holiday or regular decor. Some store-bought costumes have unique materials such as metallic fabric, netting, velvet, jewels or buttons that can be used for collages, decoupage, quilting or be framed for dorm decor.

Whichever way you decide to recycle your costume, or parts of it, the spooky spirit will live on until next year!

Hollie Lao is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.