Lukas Graham's newest album brings soul to every song

Danish singer-songwriter Lukas Graham released his sophomore album “3 (The Purple Album)” on Friday, Oct. 26, charting at No. 17 on the American iTunes Chart.

Graham’s top songs from the album are “Love Someone,” “Not a Damn Thing Changed” and “You’re Not the Only One (Redemption Song).” Each song is a window into Graham’s personal life because his lyrics are really intimate.

In “Love Someone,” Graham talks openly about being in love. In the lyrics he talks about the surreal feeling of falling deep in love. In this song, the listener can hear the intense emotion in the vocals, evoking a bittersweet feeling. He then takes a step back to tell the audience that the way he loves is unique.

“'Cause when you love someone, You open up your heart/When you love someone, You may grow,” Graham sings.

In “Not a Damn Thing Changed,” Graham talks about the consistency of his friends and the people who are there for him at home. The same people have always been there for him and the people who have been cold to him remain the same. He talks about the pain and remembrance of his friends who have died and can't celebrate the good times with him anymore.

“Got my team from day one, there's not one I could replace/Staying true to the way I grew up, how we were raised,” Graham sings.

In the beginning of “You're Not The Only One (Redemption Song),” Graham directly mentions Bob Marley and John Lennon, saying no one writes redemption songs now that they’re dead. Graham told Genuis.com that Bob Marley and John Lennon were a big inspiration for him musically.

He also talks about his belief that the world needs more love and hope, which is the main message of the song.

“You're not the only one who's had enough/Give me your hand so we can stand up/You're not the only one done waiting for changes to come/You're not the only one done waiting,” Graham sings.

When soul meets pop music, you hear Graham’s musical stylings that are present in “3 (The Purple Album).” The album has an emphasis on a ballad style of music featuring piano. The genre is labeled on iTunes as pop, but when you listen to his albums, you can certainly hear that he does not constrain himself to that one label.

Graham’s newest album is soulful and intimate to say the very least. He opens up about his feelings in every song. Graham talks about relationships, friends, family and the world as a whole in the album.

His fans were ecstatic about the album since it has been a full two years since the release of his self-titled album in 2016. The music is relatable and attractive to people who listen to all different types of music. One fan said they were planning on seeing Graham in concert with their husband who listens to Marilyn Manson and Ozzy Osbourne.

“WOW... so relatable. Love when lyrics speak to universal truths and shared human experience,” Faith (@samsmithpixIG on twitter) said.

5/5 ★★★★★

Madison Appleby is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at madison.appleby@uconn.edu.