Students face inconsistent temperatures in Fine Arts Complex

The Fine Arts Complex will not be turning its heat on until November. (Maggie Chafouleas/The Daily Campus)

Construction on the University of Connecticut School of Fine Arts complex is causing the heat to not be turned on in the building.

Students noticed a chill in their classrooms and saw notices instructing students to dress warmer as daytime temperatures reached the mid-40s these past few weeks.

“As part of the project, all major underground utilities had to be relocated, such as steam lines, telecommunications lines and electrical connections,” university spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said.

A new utility tunnel has been built as part of the project and the utilities will run through it, according to Reitz.

“We expect to have the pipes run through the tunnel, reconnected, inspected and tested no later than Nov. 7,” Reitz said. “In the meantime, temporary heating units have been installed at various locations throughout the building.”

Jessica Jones, a third-semester music education major who takes classes in the School of Fine Arts said she has noticed the temperature change throughout the buildings.

“There are signs up that say there’s no heat that show up on the TVs in the hallway,” Jones said. “But (the temperature) honestly depends on which room you’re in.”

The heating units installed in some rooms have made the temperature too warm, Jones said.

“It’s either unbearably hot or incredibly cold; it’s really odd,” Jones said. “Most of us were confused because the temperature was really inconsistent.”

The School of Fine Arts Atrium is undergoing renovations including a student collaborative space, a new dean’s suite and a music drama library resource center, according to a university project overview presentation.

Phase two of the project also includes parking lot modifications, utility relocations and facade replacements, the presentation said.

When hurricanes Florence and Michael hit the southern United States, most of Eversource’s resources were sent down there, delaying the project at UConn, Reitz said.

“That delayed the relocation of electrical lines, which needed to be in place before we could finish building the new tunnel and reconnect the steam lines,” Reitz said.

Ashley Anglisano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.