Men’s Hockey: UConn fumbles third period lead, takes 3-2 loss to Northeastern

FILE- UConn, pictured here against Boston University, fell to another Boston resident this weekend, losing 3-2 to Northeastern University. (The Daily Campus)

UConn hockey took a loss on the road to No. 15 Northeastern University 3-2 due to two goals in the final ten minutes of the game.

UConn (4-4-1) held a 2-1 lead over Northeastern (6-3-1) heading into the third period thanks to goals from Roman Kinal and Max Kalter in the first and second periods, respectively. Benjamin Freeman, Carter Turnbull, Ruslan Iskhakov and Kinal were credited with assists on the two goals for UConn.

The other Huskies scored their first goal in the second period on a power play and struck again on another power play in the 11th minute of the third period.

With the score tied 2-2 and less than two minutes left in regulation, Brandon Hawkins scored the go-ahead goal with Tyler Madden and Grant Jozefek assisting on the play.

The box score shows a game that had a large imbalance of power play opportunities from the two Husky teams. Northeastern had seven power play opportunities in the contest and scored on two of them. UConn had only one chance and failed to score on it.

In UConn’s tie against Maine a couple weeks ago, they let a two-goal lead, with less than 10 minutes left, turn into a draw. Closing a game out with a lead requires discipline, and learning from these early losses will be crucial to UConn’s success down the road. Giving the opponent opportunity after opportunity on power plays is no way to keep a lead.

UConn returns from their three-game road trip in which they went 1-2 to face Brown University at home in the XL Center Tuesday night. Brown is 1-4-1 so far this season and has yet to win a game on the road. The game will begin at 7:05 p.m.

Sean Janos is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu.