Melissa’s Menu: Turkey skillet pot pie

This week’s Melissa’s Menu offers the perfect recipe that’ll use up all of your leftover turkey. (tasty.co/screenshot)

The classic Thanksgiving meal is delicious, but figuring out what to do with all the leftovers the next day can be a pain. If you don’t want to keep reheating the same meal again and again, you’re in luck: This week’s Melissa’s Menu offers the perfect recipe that’ll use up all of your leftover turkey. This turkey skillet pot pie with buttermilk biscuits is so delicious you won’t even realize you’re eating leftovers, and it’s perfect for a chilly fall day. It’ll remind you of Thanksgiving without being an exact repeat of the meal you’ve already eaten.

Ingredients

12 tablespoons of butter, divided
2 ¼ cups of flour, divided
1 ½ cups of chicken stock
salt, to taste
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme
2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables
2 cups of turkey breast, cooked and shredded
1 ½ teaspoons of baking soda
¾ cup of buttermilk
¼ cup of heavy cream, optional

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a 10-inch cast iron skillet, melt four tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the ¼ cup of flour and cook, stirring constantly until smooth. Add the chicken stock and salt to taste. Cook until the stock has reduced and thickened. Add in the rosemary, frozen vegetables, turkey and additional salt, and stir until fully mixed. Remove from the heat. Add remaining flour, baking soda, eight tablespoons of butter and a pinch of salt to a bowl. Using a wooden spoon or your hands, mix together until the butter is the size of peas. Add the buttermilk and mix until the dough barely comes together, which should take about one minute. Place the dough on a floured countertop and gently form into a 1½-inch thick layer. Use a 3-inch round cutter to cut 10-12 biscuits, re-rolling the dough as needed. Place the biscuits on top of the the turkey mixture in the cast iron skillet. Brush the top of the biscuits with heavy cream (optional). Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown.