UConnALERT system to incorporate UConn Health

This year’s UConnALERT test, which is scheduled for today, is later this year than in years past as the university worked to incorporate UConn Health. (UConn Health)

This year’s UConnALERT test, which is scheduled for today, is later this year than in years past as the university worked to incorporate UConn Health.

“UConn has traditionally tested the system each October and again in the spring,” University spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said. “This fall’s test is a little later than usual because [with the incorporation of UConn Health] we are testing it as OneUConnALERT system for the first time.”

Reitz said this test is a more “holistic assessment” of safety for all the UConn campuses.

Students will receive a text message alert at 12:25 p.m. today.

People should ensure their cell phone numbers are registered with the text alert system, Reitz said.

“[UConnALERT] is the fastest way to learn about emergencies, weather-related delays and cancellations and other time-sensitive information,” Reitz said.

As technology has improved, so has UConn’s emergency messaging capabilities, according to Reitz.

“The Alert system with texting has been in place for more than 10 years,” Reitz said.

The university is interested in improving emergency notifications, according to Reitz, and always welcomes feedback.

“We’re...adding features and expanding it where it’s possible and feasible, such as this week’s first-ever addition of the UConn Health test along with the regular test,” Reitz said.

Ashley Anglisano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.