Benefits of kombucha

8 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Kombucha Tea. Written by Joe Leech, MS on August 29, 2018.

Kombucha is one of those health drinks that everyone goes crazy for nowadays. It’s said to make people feel more energized and settle their stomachs and also comes in and unique flavors. Kombucha is carbonated and made from sugar, yeast and fermented black or green tea. It can be found in most grocery stores, although some only carry certain brands.

One of the many benefits of this drink is that it’s anti-inflammatory. There is a link between inflammation and depression, so kombucha may help relieve some symptoms of depression. The gut-brain axis shows there is a clear link between gut health and mental health. The probiotics contained in this drink help as well, because they alter the gut microbiome and work to remedy gut and mental issues.

Heart health is another great benefit of drinking kombucha. Cholesterol levels are primarily influenced by diet and exercise, but drinking kombucha on a regular basis helps regulate cholesterol and triglyceride levels. The probiotic cultures also help destroy bad bacteria that cause some infectious diseases. Drinking kombucha regularly can protect the liver, which gets rid of toxins in the body. Kombucha containing green tea has been shown to e especially effective in decreasing toxins.

The main antioxidants in tea are called polyphenols and can fight disease and oxidative damage. Once it’s been fermented, kombucha also contains vitamins C and E. The vitamin C contained can help fight skin damage, remove wrinkles and improve skin texture. A deficiency in this vitamin can result in the complete opposite skin effects.

Type 2 diabetes can be managed by some of the properties of kombucha. It regulates blood sugar, slows down carb digestion and alters the gut bacteria that affects the uptake of carbs. Like I mentioned before, the anti-inflammatory component of kombucha can help with arthritis pain as well.

Overall, I’d say this drink is a health fad for a good reason. Many nutritionists recommend incorporating it into our daily diets both as a way to get a boost and feel good and as a way to prevent different diseases and improve our mental health. Personally, I think the brand Kevita is the best. Some other brands don’t taste good because they pair flavors that you wouldn’t normally pair. Kombucha is also a very acquired taste; not everyone will enjoy it. But if you find a brand and flavor you like, it could be very beneficial to your health.

Tessa Pawlik is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at tessa.pawlik@uconn.edu.