Here’s what you need to know for Thanksgiving break

1 in 8 people go hungry every night in CT. Students can help change that by donating non-perishable items in these collection boxes around campus. (Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

Over the University of Connecticut’s Thanksgiving break from Nov. 18 to 24, dining hall access will be limited University spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said.

The Fall 2018 Thanksgiving break meal plan runs from Saturday, Nov. 17–Saturday, November 24, Reitz said.

“Students who have a current Residential Meal Plan (Ultimate, Value or Custom) and plan on staying on campus during the break may sign up in advance for meals,” Reitz said. “These meals are one breakfast, one lunch and one dinner per day.”

The only dining unit open during break will be Buckley, Reitz said.

Breakfast will be served from 7 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., lunch is from 11 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. and dinner from 4:15 p.m. to 7:15 p.m.

No meals will be served in the dining hall on Thanksgiving day, Reitz said.

The Residential Meal Plan will shut down after dinner on Friday, Nov. 16, for those who do not sign up in advance, Reitz said. To sign up for access to dining services, visit https://dining.uconn.edu/2018/10/24/thanksgiving-break-meal-plan-form/.

The residence halls will remain open, Reitz said. Students can enter using their Husky One Card like normal. Before leaving, students should lock their doors.

For those leaving their off-campus housing, students should make sure the heat is set above 55 degrees, Program Coordinator of Off-Campus Housing Ashley L. Hudd-Trotter said.

“Each property can have their own set standard to the minimum of what the heat should be set at,” Hudd-Trotter said. “It is very important to not turn your heat off to be sure that pipes do not burst in the cold weather. You should speak with your landlord/property manager or read your lease to know what the temperature requirement is for your rental.”

Hudd-Trotter also said all off-campus students should lock their doors and windows before leaving.

“It is important to be sure all the doors and windows are locked, not only for the safety of your personal belongings but to prohibit the outside elements such as wind., rain or possibly snow from entering,” Hudd-Trotter said. “Make sure your doors are locked, windows are locked and shades are down. This will not only help keep your apartment safe but warmer for your return.”

To make sure that you have done everything before you leave your housing, visit

http://www.offcampus.uconn.edu/.

Shivani Doshi, a third-semester biology major from Fairfield, Connecticut, looks forward to seeing her friends from back home.

“I’m hosting ‘Friendsgiving’ with all my high school friends and we are going to cook together and catch up,” Doshi said.

Adam Baran, a third-semester biology major from Wayne, New Jersey, said he is leaving campus early to avoid terrible Thanksgiving traffic and to have time to pack before going on vacation.

“I’m going to the Bahamas [and] I’ll be there for six days,” Baran said. “I’m going on water rides, trying out the golf course and jet skiing.”

Rachel Philipson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.