Men’s Hockey: Huskies hold off third quarter surge from Brown, win 3-1

The Huskies beat the visiting Brown Bears in a Tuesday clash at the XL Center by a score of 3-1 (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s hockey team pulled out a 3-1 win Tuesday night in a nonconference game Tuesday against Brown University

The Huskies (5-4-1) struck first early in the game thanks to freshman Jonny Evans. Evans took the pass from Kale Howarth just 2:25 into the game and found the back of Brown’s (1-5-1) net to make it 1-0. The rest of the first period went without a goal or penalty and UConn outshot Brown 10-5.

About halfway through the second period, Evans struck again. After trading power plays earlier in the period, Brown’s Jake Harris went to the penalty box for slashing. While UConn was up a man, Carter Turnbull passed to Benjamin Freeman in the corner. Freeman did a half spin and crossed the puck to Evans, who finished with a sweet strike to the left side of the net.

With less than five minutes remaining in the second, Brown had a power play opportunity to get one back. They put shots on the Huskies’ goal, with three of them being high quality looks. UConn’s defense held true and kept their 2-0 lead going into the third. The Huskies led in shots 22-12.

Brown was able to cut the lead in half in the fifth minute of the third period thanks to a point blank shot by Tony Stillwell with the assist going to Tristan Crozier.

With just a one goal lead and under 15 minutes left to play, it looked like this could’ve been another game in which UConn surrenders the lead in the final period. UConn gave up late leads to Maine and Vermont earlier in this season.

“It’s an area that we have to get better at. I know it’s not a matter of conditioning, I think it’s just a mindset. Through the course of a season, you’re going to have ebbs and flows,” head coach Mike Cavanaugh said. “You have to work through those down times, learn from them and get better so when you’re playing down the stretch you have that ironed out.”

UConn was able to close this one out. Both teams exchanged penalties in the 17th minute, and Brown pulled their goalkeeper to give themselves a one-man advantage. UConn survived a barrage of Brown shots, who outshot the Huskies 14-5 in the final period.

You have to work through those down times, learn from them and get better so when you’re playing down the stretch you have that ironed out
— head coach Mike Cavanaugh

With less than a minute left, Adam Karashik and Karl El-Mir got the puck up the ice to Max Kalter to score the empty net goal and put the game away.

The 3-1 win snaps a two game losing streak for the Huskies, who will be looking to improve their 2-3-1 conference record this weekend. They will take on the University of Massachusetts Lowell in a two game series, starting at the XL Center Friday and ending on the road Saturday.

Sean Janos is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu.