UConn will travel to Eastern Carolina this Saturday for a conference matchup under the lights

Connecticut head coach Randy Edsall pleads with an official during a time out in the second half of an NCAA college football game against SMU, Saturday, Nov. 10, 2018, in East Hartford, Conn.(AP Photo/Stephen Dunn)

It’s a prospect that UConn football has become famiiar with and head coach Randy Edsall believes is unfair. All of UConn’s road America Athletic Conference games have been at night, and Edsall has said in the past that this is not in the best interests of the players.  

“I don’t like it when people talk about the health and welfare of the student-athlete when you get back here to campus between 2:30 and 4:30 in the morning,” Edsall said. “When that continually happens, I just think it’s very unfair.” 

Edsall also said that he and Athletic Director David Benedict have spoken to conference executives and hope that something can be changed in the conference’s next television deal. In his mind, teams should only have one or two road conference night games. 

“The concept of student-athlete is so far removed from the NCAA that it is ridiculous,” said Edsall. “There’s going to be a lot of big-time problems going on with the models that they currently have.”  

In addition to his gripes with the scheduling, Edsall is unhappy that teams that aren’t bowl-eligible now have to file a waiver in order to host prospective players the last week of the season. This is a consequence of a new rule that requires teams to have seven days off at the end of their regular season.  

“Because we didn’t qualify for a bowl, we have to go and try to get a waiver to be able to have our young men host prospective student-athletes next weekend if we bring them in,” Edsall said.   

Edsall also announced that running back Zavier Scott is out for the rest of the season after tearing two ligaments in his knee. The redshirt freshman is scheduled to have surgery on Friday in hopes of returning to the field in August. Scott’s 33 receptions lead the team.  

Scott is the third scholarship running back that the Huskies have lost to a season-ending injury this year after junior Donevin O’Reilly and freshman Khyon Gillespie tore their ACLs. According to Edsall, even if a player is still on the field, you should never assume that they’re healthy. 

Bryan Lambert is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at bryan.lambert@uconn.edu.