Swimming: Huskies look to defend their House of Champions title

UConn Swimming and diving teams will looking to defend a title when they head to Indianapolis this weekend. (Charlotte Lao/ The Daily Campus)

UConn’s men’s and women’s swimming and diving team will be competing in Indianapolis, Indiana in the House of Champions tournament from Friday through Sunday. House of Champions is held at Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis, or IUPUI, in the natatorium against 10 other teams. In 2017, the Huskies came away from the tournament as victors and both the men and women won titles.  

UConn men’s swimming and diving team is looking to redeem themselves after their last meet against West Point, in which they lost 95-199. While the Huskies will be looking for the team to step up, freshman Jack Gray is impacting the Huskies in a positive way, finishing in third against West Point in the 1000 freestyle. Junior Will Kearsey had a standout performance, winning the 100 back with a time of 48.88 and coming in mere second place in the 200 back with a time of 45.58. Last season in the House of Champions tournament, Kearsey achieved swimming a 200 back in the time 1:44.94 and performed the 200 breast in 1:58.23, this season is look more promising fro Kearsey in terms of his time. Also, in the Huskies last appearance in this tournament, junior Karl Bishop swam a time of 15:27.52 in the 1650 free. 

On the other hand, the UConn women’s swimming and diving team won the meet against West Point 158-142. The Huskies have quite an experienced team with the upperclassmen having a large impact on the turnout of the meets. Against West Point, senior Jackie Van Lew was able to win the 100 and 200 freestyle events, while junior Brazil Rule won the 50 freestyle, and the Huskies capitalized on the meet with sophomore Ryan Dulaney coming out on top in the 500 and 1000. In terms of the Huskies last appearance in the House of Champions tournament, Annika Grewal, who is a senior for the Huskies, placed first in the 200 back standings, with a time of 2:00.15, alongside a former teammate. Julie Hu, who is also a senior, achieved a personal record in the tournament during the 200 breast event, in which she came in second with a time of 2:19.09. 

The Huskies look to finish the House of Champions tournament in the same manner as they did last season, with is as the title holders. They will be looking to defend the success that they achieved and come out on top. 

Hanaisha Lewis is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hanaisha.lewis@uconn.edu.