Headline: UConn swept in home-and-home series with UMass Lowell

UConn’s Ruslan Iskhakov tries to control the puck in his own zone during the Huskies’ 5-2 loss to UMass-Lowell on Nov. 16, 2018. (Bryan Lambert/ The Daily Campus)

It was not an ideal weekend for UConn hockey after dropping both games of their home-and-home series with Hockey East foe UMass Lowell. After losing in 5-2 Friday night, the Huskies were shutout Saturday 3-0 and saw their overall record drop to 5-5-1 and 2-4-1 in the conference.

(Bryan Lambert/ The Daily Campus)

(Bryan Lambert/ The Daily Campus)

UMass Lowell put UConn in a hole early after scoring twice in the game’s first 2:17. Junior forward Kenny Hausinger collected a missed shot and fired one from the point to give the River Hawks a lead they wouldn’t relinquish.

Just 31 seconds later, a UConn turnover in their own zone lead to a one-on-one opportunity between a pair of freshman. Reid Stefanson collected the puck and beat Tomas Vomacka stick side for the 2-0 lead.

The Huskies entered the second period fresh off a five-minute penalty kill after Kale Howarth earned himself a major and game misconduct for boarding, and it seemed to fit the theme for the period.

Each team had three power play chances in the second but the only goal scored came shorthanded for the River Hawks. Junior Colin O’Neil seemingly chased Vomacka from the game after ripping a shot from the right circle to extend their lead to 3-0. Adam Huska (13 saves) came in to relieve Vomacka following the score.

Tyler Wall lived up to his name, stopping all 28 pucks on net, including all six shots fired by the Huskies in the last two and a half minutes. Two power plays and an extra-skater were not enough for UConn to sneak one past Wall as UConn saw UMass Lowell’s record reach 6-5-1 overall and 3-3-1 in Hockey East play.

This was the first time the Huskies have been shutout since last January when they also lost 3-0 but on the road at Merrimack.

UConn now travels across the Atlantic where they’ll take part in the Northern Irish Connections Friendship Four in Northern Ireland. Boston University, Yale and Union will also take part in the event.

Kevin Arnold is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu.