Dance Saturday night away at the Masquerade Ball

The UConn Vietnamese Student Association meets to discuss final details for the Masquerade Ball Monday night. The ball will be held this Saturday in the Student Union Ballroom from 7 to 11 p.m. and all proceeds will go towards scholarships to benefit students of Vietnamese descent pursuing higher education. (Kimberly Nguyen/The Daily Campus)

If you go to the University of Connecticut Student Union Ballroom this Saturday night, you might see a crowd of students dressed up and wearing masks.

The Masquerade Ball is hosted by the UConn Vietnamese Student Association and New England Intercollegiate Vietnamese Student Association (NEIVSA). All proceeds collected from the event will go toward scholarships that benefit high school seniors and college students of Vietnamese descent within New England who are pursuing higher education.

Now in its 31st year, the ball originally started off as a Halloween dance and has since evolved into the classy event it is now, said Tiffany Tran, NEIVSA president and seventh-semester molecular and cell biology major at UConn. Since the start of the ball in 2001, over $14,000 has been raised for the NEIVSA Dream Scholarship.

The ball has been hosted by other schools in the past, such as the University of Massachusetts, Boston, Tran said. This year, she said she is proud to work on the event at home with UConn VSA.

“It was obvious that they (UConn VSA) were dedicated and determined to making this a memorable Masquerade Ball for the region,” Tran said.

The other twist to the event is that UConn students involved with UConn VSA signed up to be part of a group of top-tier students who will be auctioned off for a single dance. Proceeds from bidding on a special dance with these students also goes toward the NEIVSA Dream Scholarship.

Executive board member of UConn VSA, Winfield Zhou, a fifth-semester communications major with a digital marketing and analytics minor, presented the idea of hosting such a large event at the end of last semester and has seen it grow throughout the process of planning the event.

“My hopes for the ball this year is to bring people from all over our area to this event,” Zhou said. “I hope more of our students will want to come to the event and hopefully meet other people involved in NEIVSA.”

The event is semi-formal and event-goers are encouraged to bring a mask, especially because it will remove $3 off the price of a ticket at the door.

The event will be held this Saturday from 7 to 11 p.m. Tickets are $15 at the door.

Kimberly Nguyen is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.nguyen@uconn.edu.