Women's Basketball Around The American: Strong performances across the board

Mississippi's La'Karis Salter (33) shoots over Temple's Shannen Atkinson (11) during a game on Wednesday, Nov. 14 in Oxford, Miss. (Bruce Newman/The Oxford Eagle via AP)

East Carolina (5-0):

Behind dominant performances from Lashonda Monk and Raven Johnson, East Carolina edged Wake Forest 70-61 Saturday to improve to 5-0 and take the No. 1 spot in the conference. Monk dropped 25 points on 11-19 shooting with nine steals, five boards, two assists and a block in her 37 minutes on the court. However, she turned the ball over six times and was only 1-4 from the free throw line. Johnson added 24 points to complement Monk, but also grabbed five rebounds, with three steals and two assists. She was a perfect 8-8 from the line in her 31 minutes. East Carolina also benefitted with 11 rebounds from senior Salita Greene, who put up eight points in 37 minutes.

UCF (5-1):

In the 75-68 loss to Central Michigan on Wednesday, Korneila Wright dropped 31 points, but received little help from the rest of the squad. The other starters combined to go 7-30 from the field with 20 points. Saturday’s 70-48 win over Richmond featured solid performances from Wright as well as Kayla Thigpen off of the bench. Thigpen grabbed seven steals, with 11 points, three rebounds and two assists in 25 minutes of play. Wright led the team in scoring once again with 14 points to go alongside five assists and five rebounds. In the 71-56 win against Villanova on Sunday, Wright and Thigpen showed out again as they took home the UCF Classic. Wright went 8-19 with 20 points, nine rebounds, six assists and two steals to lead the Golden Knights to victory. Thigpen also added 17 points and six rebounds in 31 minutes off of the bench.

Wichita State (5-1):

Now tied with UCF for third place in the conference, Wichita State went 1-1 this week. In a 73-64 loss to South Dakota, Wichita featured no strong performances but spread the production around well. Seraphine Bastin and Jaida Hampton each went for 12 points to lead the team in scoring. Bastin also had four assists and a steal. On the other hand, in the 70-56 win over Louisiana Tech there was one clear top performance as Sabrina Lozada-Cabbage went for a double-double in this one. She went 8-12 from the field for 16 points but also grabbed 16 boards to go along with five assists, two steals and a block.

Tulane (4-1):

Despite a 22-point showing from Dynah Jones off of the bench, Tulane lost against California 65-57 Friday. Krystal Freeman also added 16 points and six rebounds in the loss. However, in Saturday’s 81-72 win over Cleveland State, Freeman picked up a double-double with 22 points and 11 boards to lead Tulane to victory. Tulane now sits in fifth place with no conference games being played yet.

Cincinnati (5-2):

Cincinnati won both of their games this week with a 66-52 win over Yale and a 71-55 win over Lipscomb. In Wednesday’s win against Yale, Cincy was led by a 20-point game from Nikira Goings, who also added four boards in her 28 minutes. IImar’I Thomas dropped a double-double with 14 points, 10 rebounds and four blocks in 29 minutes off of the bench.

USF (5-2):

USF played three games in three days from Thursday to Saturday and went 1-2 in those contests. In an 85-63 loss to Kentucky in the Virgin Islands on Thursday, turnovers were a real issue as they had 18 as a team. Even with her 16-point game, Sydni Harvey gave away seven turnovers. This trend continued in the slim 71-69 loss to UNC Friday, as they also gave the ball away 18 times. Despite the loss, three players dropped more than 17 points Friday as USF got 22 from Laura Ferriera, 18 from Beatriz Jordao and 17 from Harvey. Due to a 25-point second quarter, USF was able to survive a comeback from UCLA Saturday to take a W in the 60-56 contest. USF was able to overcome a 20-turnover game, with eight coming from Ferriera, behind 19 points from Harvey and 14 from Ferriera.

SMU (4-3):

All of SMU’s games this week were closely contested, but they were able to come away with two wins out of three. Alicia Froling did her best to get the win Tuesday as she earned a double-double with 14 points and 18 rebounds, but was unsuccessful as they lost 63-62 against Southeastern Louisiana. SMU had a tough time containing SL’s Celica Sterling, who had 29 points in 33 minutes off of the bench. They beat Robert Morris 60-55 Friday behind Amber Bacon’s 14 points. They added another W with a 55-48 win over Northern Arizona Saturday as Froling went for 19 points, 13 boards and four blocks.

Tulsa (3-3):

Tuesday’s game against St. Louis went to overtime before Tulsa walked away with an 86-75 win. Tulsa was led by Crystal Polk and Alexis Gaulden, who had 26 and 25 points, respectively. In their next draw against Stephen F. Austin on Saturday, Tulsa was absolutely obliterated, losing 76-34. They were only able to score in double-digits in one of the quarters, as they had 14 in the second.

Houston (3-4):

In a 83-72 win over Columbia, Houston was led by a 14-point, 14-rebound game from Alyssa Okeone. Okeone did give away seven turnovers, though. In a double OT thriller against New Mexico, Houston could not hold on as they lost 89-84. Jasmyne Harris went off for 28 points with 10 steals and nine rebounds in 48 minutes but also gave the ball away 13 times. Okeone added 12 points and 19 rebounds in this contest.

Memphis (2-4):

Behind a 22-point double-double from Alana Davis, Memphis beat Mercer 59-53 Friday. Davis had 13 rebounds in 35 minutes on the court. They could not pick up the win against Coastal Carolina as they lost 90-71 Sunday. Gazmyne Herndon went for 19 points, six assists, four boards and two blocks in the loss.

Temple (2-4):

Temple dropped both of their games this week as they lost 56-50 to Radnor Friday and 73-61 to Miami Sunday. Alliya Butts scored 19 but was only 7-24 from the field with seven missed 3-pointers against Radnor. In the loss to Miami, Mia Davis put on a strong display as she dropped 19 with 11 boards and a block. Butts also had 18 points with three steals in the game.

Mike Mavredakis is a campus correspondent for the Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.quinn-mavredakis@uconn.edu.