Weekly Wellness: Five health myths that people still believe

Wether you like your eggs sunny-side up or scrambled, you shouldn’t have to worry about your health while eating them. (elizabeth davis/ Flickr, Creative Commons)

Growing up, we all heard tales about how eating or doing certain things can be good or bad for us. And the reasoning was usually somewhat illogical. However, there are some myths that people still believe and live by that hold absolutely no truth.

Myth 1: Alcohol warms you up.

College students make this excuse all the time. They won’t be cold walking outside if they drink enough. However, that’s not completely accurate. Alcohol dilates your blood vessels, causing them to move closer to your skin, therefore “warming you up.” In reality, this process is actually making you lose body heat faster. So, next time you walk out in the cold after a few drinks, stop to see if you’re actually warm or if you’re just telling yourself you are.

Myth 2: If you go outside in the cold with wet hair, you’ll get sick.

This is completely false. The virus is what’s making you sick; the cold air has nothing to do with it. Unless you’re exposed to the common cold, you could go outside in freezing weather with wet hair and be fine. Research says there is technically a correlation because viruses thrive in the cold. However, it’s very likely you won’t be exposed to a virus every time you’re out in the cold.

Myth 3: We should be drinking eight glasses of water a day.

The amount of water necessary for good health depends on the person. Women require a different amount than men, and smaller people will need a different amount than larger people. Water intake can come from things besides water as well. Foods we eat and even other types of drinks we consume all hold a certain amount of water. There’s really no set guideline for how much is “right.”

Myth 4: Eggs are bad for your heart.

Many people are under the impression that eggs aren’t good for your cholesterol. They do, in fact, have the highest cholesterol content of natural foods, but it’s all about how many you consume in each sitting. As we’ve all heard before, everything is okay in moderation. If you consume multiple eggs every day of the week, you might have pretty high cholesterol. But if you eat them in moderation, nutritionists say they’re one of the most “nutritious and economical” foods to consume.

Myth 5: We should all be taking multivitamins.

If your doctor tells you that you’re lacking a particular vitamin, then it’s most likely necessary. However, the best way to get the vitamins we need every day is through fruits, vegetables and a healthy diet. If you’re pregnant or have certain health conditions, you’ll need supplements. But if you think you need to take a multivitamin every day to be healthy, you don’t. The best way to fuel your body is naturally.

Tessa Pawlik is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at tessa.pawlik@uconn.edu.