A$AP Ferg headlines this year’s energetic fall concert

A$AP Ferg preformed in Jorgensen Theater Wednesday night. The theater was filled with students on both the floor and the balcony. A$AP ended the night with his double Platinum song Plain Jane. (Nicholas Hampton/The Daily Campus)

Rapper A$AP Ferg turned Jorgensen Theatre electric for SUBOG’s annual Fall Concert on Wednesday night. The lines into the concert stretched around the theatre despite it being a cold November night with the possibility of snow flurries. Even after the technical difficulties that arose, within the first few minutes of Ferg being on stage, the wait was worth it - SUBOG hosted DJ group GrooveBoston as the opener for headliner A$AP Ferg to give UConn students a high -energy night of music and dancing.

The pre-show party with GrooveBoston warmed up the crowd as it continued to grow before A$AP Ferg took the stage. The DJ group played recent hits like Sheck Wes’ “Mo Bamba” and Drake’s “Nonstop,” songs that the audience on the floor and in the balcony were hyped to hear.

Throughout the show, Ferg connected with his audience both literally and figuratively. To get the crowd involved, the rapper stepped off-stage during his opening song to immediately connect with those in the floor section. Knowing the mob of college students was probably thirsty, he threw water bottles into the audience, including a used one - congratulations to whoever had that lucky catch. To tie it all together, he dedicated his song “East Coast” to everyone at UConn, saying “This song goes out to all of y’all here on the East Coast,” and the crowd went wild.

Ferg constantly jumped around on and off stage to match the lively, tireless style of his music. For a few moments, though, Ferg calmed down to honor A$AP Yams, the founder of A$AP Mob, the music group Ferg is a member of. Ferg asked the crowd for a moment of silence to pay tribute to Yams, saying “I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for him.” To pick the crowd back up, Ferg jammed out to one of the songs he created with Yams, “Yamborghini High.”

Ferg electrified the crowd with his three most popular songs in the final moments of the concert. His performances “Shabba” and “Work” had the entire theatre on their feet, or, if they were a part of the mosh pit, probably on the ground.

“We saw it all from up there: people crowd surfing, the mosh pits, everyone having a good time. It was a birds’ eye view and the best seat in the house,” Christina Constantinou, first semester physiology and neurobiology double major, said.

Most notably, though, his hit and the night’s closing song “Plain Jane” had the floor of Jorgensen shaking. Before ending the night with the most anticipated song, Ferg thanked the audience with a personal statement: “UConn, I love y’all so much. This next song went double platinum because of y’all.”

Students who purchased floor tickets and stood in line early enough to secure a spot as close to the stage as possible, like first semester English and American studies double major Brian Goggin, were able to have an elevated experience.

“(The concert was) absolutely the most fun I’ve had yet at UConn,” Goggin said. “I’ll be at the next concert for sure.”

Rachel Lamore is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.lamore@uconn.