Holiday Happenings: Fun winter and holiday activities to do around campus

Festive lights are hanging on the trees all around campus for students to get in the holiday spirit. (Julie Spillane/The Daily Campus)

Don’t let the winter (or finals) blues get you down! On—or near—campus, there are a multitude of activities for you and your friends to take part in when you need to take a break from your arduous studying for upcoming exams. Enjoy the winter and holiday festivities while they’re still here.

DIY holiday cards and ornaments, William Benton Museum of Art

On weekdays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. until Dec. 15, the Benton Museum on campus will be hosting a workspace for you to make holiday cards and ornaments for your loved ones. Blank cards and ornaments are $2.99 each or two for $5, and can be picked up at the museum’s Visitor Services Desk. They will provide all supplies and embellishments for your projects. The event is hosted by and in support of the Benton’s Art Education program.

Boston Pops Holiday Concert, Jorgensen Center

This Saturday, Dec. 1, from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m., Jorgensen will be hosting the Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra for its annual holiday tradition. The orchestra will be playing holiday music favorites, and jolly old St. Nick may stop by. This is a perfect event to attend with your family if they come and visit, or to take your friends to after dinner. Tickets can be bought online at Jorgensen’s website.

Ice skating, Mark Freitas Ice Forum

Peer Allies Through Honors (PATH) is hosting an hour of public skating at the ice rink this Saturday, Dec. 1, at 7:15 p.m. Entrance to the rink is free for UConn students, and it costs $5 to rent a pair of skates. The rink is also hosting an hour of skating for students earlier that day, at 6 p.m., if you cannot make the time period hosted by the PATH program. Partake in this traditional winter activity to gear up for the holidays.

DIY—De-stress with hot cocoa, AsACC (SU 428)

Co-sponsored by the Asian-American Cultural Center (AsACC) and Counseling and Mental Health Services, this event invites you to enjoy a free cup of hot chocolate and make your own wintry crafts. Stop by AsACC in the Student Union on Wednesday, Dec. 5, 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. to relax and de-stress as the semester winds down.

Seraphic Fire Carols by Candlelight, Jorgensen Center

Next Tuesday, Dec. 4, at Jorgensen, 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., Seraphic Fire will present an a cappella candlelight Christmas concert to get you into the festive mood. Buy tickets online at Jorgensen’s website for $15 to $36.

Sledding, Horsebarn Hill

If snow happens to fall upon Storrs, students are bound to head to Horsebarn Hill to take part in everyone’s favorite winter activity from childhood: sledding. The vast size and height of the location is perfect for an exhilarating race with friends. From conventional sleds, to pieces of cardboard or plastic, garbage lids or inflatable tubes, you’re bound to find your own fun way to catch a ride.

Hollie Lao is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.