UConn continues search for new president

FILE-The University of Connecticut has yet to elect a new president with Susan Herbst’s departure looming. (Eric Wang/ The Daily Campus)

As the school year progresses, the University of Connecticut’s national search for a new university president continues with faculty deliberating over current President Susan Herbst’s successor. UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said that so far, the search is going as planned, and rounds of interviews are currently taking place.

“As is common practice, the candidates and the search details are confidential in order to attract the strongest possible pool of candidates,” Reitz said.

UConn’s 16th president is expected to be chosen by early 2019 by a 44-member Advisory Search Committee, led by Board Chair Thomas Kruger and finalized by the Board of Trustees, according to UConn Today.

“The Board of Trustees will ultimately make the final decision and appoint the next president,” Reitz said. “The university expects a final decision will be made in the December (2018 to) January (2019) timeframe.”

UConn students said they are eager for change to come on campus under a new administration.

“As a freshman, I’ve only experienced Susan Herbst’s presidency for a semester... for the new president, I would like someone who’s open to listening to the student body about changes that could be made to our campus or academics,” first-semester art history major Eva Solano said. “I think it’s important to have a president that has an open mind and is willing to work with the UConn community to increase the quality of life and learning.”

First semester accounting major Collin Myta said he was excited to see who UConn chooses, especially with the announcement set to come soon.

“I think the UConn family is ready to welcome a new president and we’re all ready to make UConn great again. Hopefully, this president will focus more on the students and less on the grass,” Myta said.

When asked about their predictions for the new president, many students, including first semester management and engineering for manufacturing major Elijah Taitel, said they remain unsure.

“I think whoever the new president is, they have a lot of work to do,” Taitel said. “I would imagine the university's finances would play a large role in their choice of president. I think someone business-minded would be a great choice.”

Grace Burns is campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at grace.burns@uconn.edu.