‘The Christmas Chronicle’” brings Christmas spirit to Netflix

This image released by Netflix shows Kurt Russell in a scene from "The Christmas Chronicles," currently streaming on Netflix. (Michael Gibson/Netflix via AP)

The Netflix original Christmas movie, “The Christmas Chronicles,” which was produced by the makers of “Harry Potter” and “Home Alone” was released on Nov. 22, Thanksgiving Day, just in time for the holidays.

The movie starts out with a little girl, Kate Pierce, and her older brother, Teddy, who doesn't believe in Santa Claus. The children cause some trouble when they bump into Santa himself, which brings a sense of action to this heartwarming Christmas movie.

Kurt Russell, who plays Santa, brings the character to life with gusto and a twist to the traditional Santa. Instead of snow-colored hair he had a more believable gray color, along with his own attitude that is especially prevalent in the beginning of the movie when he tells the children they will be on ‘the naughty list for life.

The movie brings the much-expected warmth of a holiday movie when the older brother begins to have much more holiday cheer. The ‘non-believer’ character in a Christmas movie seems to usually have the most character development, and in “The Christmas Chronicles” it was Teddy Pierce.

The twist of this movie is there is a splash of reality right in the center of the plot, when the audience witnesses Santa being arrested for taking the Pierce family over 1,000 miles from their home. He is threatened with charges of kidnapping and other related criminal charges for being caught in a car with two children.

Netflix did not disappoint when it came to the cinematography that many Netflix original movies contain. The different angles and perspectives through the camera drew the audience into the story. The angles showing things such as the inside of Santa’s bag, or the Christmas cookies, made each shot throughout the movie interesting to watch.

The movie also utilizes both live performance from actors and animated characters. This brought a sense of magic and fantasy to the movie. When fantasy meets real life, it brings in the audience's attention because it's something exciting to view.

Magic, as usual, was a big contributor to the interesting portions of the plot. Without the conflict with magic, the story would not be taken anywhere. The movie takes the concept of magic and explores the idea of Santa Claus without magic for a large part of the movie, which is what makes things interesting.

“The Christmas Chronicles” has mixed reactions, but it certainly emulates the necessities of a great Christmas movie. It has the character who develops into someone with Christmas spirit and the adventure that inevitably ends with a scene that takes place Christmas morning. When the movie ends, it leaves the audience with a warm feeling that Christmas movies are known for.

Rating: 4/5

Madison Appleby is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at madison.appleby@uconn.edu .   She tweets at @madd_journalist