Editorial: Party at the Polls with UConnPIRG and Cast Your Vote!

UConnPIRG is providing buses that will take students from the UConn Student Union to the Mansfield Community Center and back. Uber users who enter the promotional code VOTE2018 will receive a free ride to their polling location. (File/The Daily Campus)

Tomorrow UConnPIRG’s New Voters Project (NVP) and UConn Hillel are co-hosting a party at the polls from 11 am.. to 7 p.m. at the Mansfield Community Center. This event, culminates NVP’s overwhelmingly successful 2018 campaign, establishing them as Connecticut’s chief voter registrator with a total of 2,083 new voters registered physically and online prior to the midterm elections. UConnPIRG and UConn Hillel hope incoming UConn students will enjoy the entertaining democracy-themed activities outside the Mansfield Community Center and consequently enter the building to partake in their civic duty.

NVP registered new student voters over a period of nearly two months, but the importance of convincing registrants to act upon their newly-acquired right cannot be stressed enough. After all, voter registration statistics are akin to pre-election popularity polls in that they merely hypothesize the degree and demographic breakdown of voter turnout.

CT.gov, Connecticut’s official state website, provides online resources for any in-state residents who are unsure about the voting process or would like to register on Election Day.

UConnPIRG is providing buses that will take students from the UConn Student Union to the Mansfield Community Center and back. Uber users who enter the promotional code VOTE2018 will receive a free ride to their polling location.

Mansfield’s town registrar, with which NVP cooperated in order to finalize and submit physical voter registration forms, avidly anticipates this event and expects high student voter turnout. Every UConn student, especially those who are Connecticut-based and of legal age and citizenship, should attend this vital event.

Upon arrival at and prior to entering the polling location, each student will engage in a variety of diversions. NVP and UConn Hillel will have a tent, adorned with tables and balloons, located between the Mansfield Community Center and Town Hall. Those who wish to commemorate their presence at this event (along with those who appreciate a clever pun) can visit the “vote-o” booth and have their picture taken. NVP will give away custom-made stickers and T-shirts (albeit a limited supply), and UConn Hillel and Sgt. Pepperoni will provide literal slices of democracy via cake and pizza, respectively. Hopefully these activities will ignite UConn students’ passion for voting and unify the community positively.

Any interested parties should visit the “Party at the Polls!” Facebook event page, express their intent to attend, and share the page across their social media accounts. UConnPIRG vice chair and NVP campaign coordinator Emily O’Hara and event coordinator Katie Heffernan can provide further details regarding the event and same-day volunteer opportunities. Anyone who wants to make their voice heard during this highly critical electoral cycle should cast their vote tomorrow between 6 am and 8 pm at the Mansfield Community Center, which will allot a significant portion of the open polling period to UConnPIRG and UConn Hillel’s appropriately-themed festivities.