Takeoff blasts off on his debut solo album “The Last Rocket”

Takeoff, the youngest member of the Migos rap family, made his debut as a solo artist this weekend. His new album “The Last Rocket” comes on the heels of “Quavo Huncho,” the forgettable debut solo album of fellow Migo Quavo. Takeoff will be able to sleep comfortably at night knowing he couldn’t have possibly dropped a worse album than his uncle Quavo.

Takeoff’s mission to drop a solo project was one he decided to tackle alone. The 24-year-old decided to include no features on his 12-track album (although Quavo does make an appearance for one of the hooks). This approach is completely different from that of “Quavo Huncho,” which included a wide variety of features. It’s hard not to respect this gutsy decision from Takeoff. Although songs with features are much more likely to become hits, the young rapper understands the importance of showcasing his talents, rather than letting a more established artist outshine him. This seemed to be a huge problem on Quavo’s album, which was carried on the backs of 21 Savage, Drake and Travis Scott.

“The Last Rocket” actually begins with a thought-provoking introduction called “Martian.” Usually intros can be skipped over, but this one in particular caught my attention. The album begins at the launch site of a rocket. A voice over an intercom calmly announces “t-minus 90 seconds until take off,” which refers to both the physical rocket and the rapper himself. The intro continues to slowly build as the countdown approaches zero. This anticipation can be compared to the fans’ anticipation for Takeoff to drop his album. The rocket, which is presumably traveling deep into unknown space, represents being a solo artist, which is unexplored musical territory for the young Atlanta rapper. The lift-off in the intro not only symbolizes the beginning of the album, but also a giant leap forward in Takeoff’s career.

“She Gon Wink” is the first full track on “The Last Rocket.” It is also one of the best. Quavo handles the chorus while Takeoff raps the verses. The duo feeds well off each other. The familiar ad-libbing in the background and the back-and-forth between Takeoff and Quavo make this track almost sound like it belongs on a Migos album. Quavo, who should probably stick to hooks, provides a catchy melody that sets the pace for the rest of the song. Takeoff also contributes some of his best rap verses of the whole album.

The next notable song on “The Last Rocket” is “Vacation.” This track is my personal favorite. Murda Beatz, who produced this heavy and fast-paced beat, provides listeners with the highest quality music on the entire album. It would’ve been difficult for Takeoff to mess this one up, even if his verses were subpar. Luckily, he comes out strong throughout the whole track and makes “Vacation” a highlight of this album.

Tracks six and seven, “Lead The Wave” and “Casper,” offer a great transition into the second half of the album. In “Lead The Wave,” Takeoff gives advice to new artists on the come-up. Through the catchy chorus and choppy rap-style, this track tells up-and-comers to remain humble, keep their circle tight and take control of their own destiny. “Casper,” on the other hand, is one of the slowest tracks on the album. The relaxing and happy beat offers a nice change of pace to the energy of “The Last Rocket.” This track showcases some of Takeoff’s versatility. It also has one of the catchiest verses of the entire album.

Takeoff shows a lot of potential as a solo artist in “The Last Rocket.” A lot of fans consider Takeoff to be the most musically talented member of Migos, and this album does nothing to refute that. He is clearly one of the most talented at rapping, but the young Atlanta rapper is also extremely versatile at making catchy hooks. There are definitely a few songs on “The Last Rocket” that are worth adding to your library, and hopefully this solo project by Takeoff is a sign of good things to come.

Rating: 3/5

Matt Souvigney is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.souvigney@uconn.edu.