Women’s Hockey: UConn blanked 3-0 by fifth-ranked BC

FILE- UConn Women’s Hockey was held scorelles against No.5 ranked Boston College on Nov. 1, 2018.

The UConn women’s hockey team fell to No. 5 ranked Boston College on Thursday by a score of 3-0. BC moved to 8-2-0 overall and remained undefeated in the conference at 5-0-0 while UConn fell to 5-4-1 overall and 2-3-1 in Hockey East.

The Huskies traveled to the Conte Forum in Chestnut Hill to face off with one of the best teams in the country. The Eagles had not lost since they started the season 0-2 and they continued their winning streak on Thursday.

The game was scoreless for the first 17 minutes until standout sophomore Daryl Watts netted her team-leading sixth goal of the season, which came from a crisp pass by junior Caitrin Lonergan, to give BC a 1-0 lead.

Neither team scored in the second period, as both goalies refused to give up anything. Junior Morgan Fisher made 13 saves in the second period alone to keep the Huskies within one.

In the third period, the Eagles pulled away with goals by freshman Savannah Norcross and senior Megan Keller to take a more comfortable 3-0 lead.

UConn could not get much offense going all game, but when they did, freshman goaltender Maddy McArthur was there to stop them. She made 19 saves and recorded her second shutout of the season.

Despite the loss, Fisher played one of her best games of the season, racking up 32 total saves, including a few acrobatic ones, to keep UConn in the game. However, the old saying holds true: You can’t win if you can’t score.

The Huskies will have a chance at redemption, as they play the Eagles in back-to-back games on Nov. 16 and 17.

In the meantime, UConn will try to return to their winning ways as they take on Boston University this Friday in their first home game in almost three weeks. They tied the Terriers 1-1 in their first meeting on the road.

Danny Barletta is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.barletta@uconn.edu.