Ariana Grande releases new single naming all her exes

Ariana Grande released a surprise single “thank u, next” Saturday, Nov. 3. (Instagram/@arianagrande)

Ariana Grande released a surprise single “thank u, next” this Saturday, naming each ex-boyfriend she’s had, including ex-fiance Pete Davidson.

Grande is very forward in her song, immediately naming and shaming within the first verse. She names Mac Miller, Davidson, Big Sean and Ricky Alvarez; all people she dated publicly.

Though Grande named all of her ex-boyfriends, she explicitly says she's grateful for the lessons they taught her. She grew from each heartbreak and is ready for the next step in her life, Grande said. She empowers herself through her pain instead of wallowing in sadness. Grande claims her trife and takes the lessons that those who inflicted the suffering, learning how to gain closure.

“Look what you taught me / And for that, I say/ Thank you, next (Next),” Grande sings.

The song revolves around Grande’s newfound love for herself. She essentially comes to terms with the end of all her past heartbreaks and begins to put herself first. This is Grande moving on from all the relationship toxicity and focusing on herself.

“Plus, I met someone else/ We havin' better discussions/ I know they say I move on too fast/ But this one gon' last /'Cause her name is Ari / And I'm so good with that (So good with that),” Grande sings.

Grande sees her break ups and past relationships in a positive light rather than a negative thing in her life. Many fans have expressed sympathy or pity for Grande but according to the song she doesn’t see her experience that way. She sees every encounter as a lesson and expresses no malice toward the people who broke her heart.

Grande has been humble throughout her career but she took a big step in releasing a song that expresses confidence and self-assurance. She even goes as far as calling herself amazing despite all of the pain she’s experienced recently.

“One taught me love/ One taught me patience/ And one taught me pain/ Now, I'm so amazing,” Grande sings.

Grande sold out her “sweetener” tour in a matter of minutes, with over 40 dates across the United States. As of Monday, she added special guests Normani and Social House.

Grande has also announced indirectly that “thank u, next” is not only a single but also an album. Victoria Monet tweeted Grande the title prior to the release, which caused a response from fans who questioned what the tweet meant. A fan asked Grande if it was a song or album and the answer is both, Grande said.

“Issa song and an album... you’ll get the song first,” Grande tweeted.

Rating: 5/5

Madison Appleby is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at madison.appleby@uconn.edu.