Around the American: Basketball pre-season wraps up

FILE - In this Jan. 4, 2018, file photo, Cincinnati head coach Mike Cronin shouts from the sideline during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game against Temple, in Philadelphia. The Bearcats had a resurgent season while playing away from home while their arena was refurbished, winning the American Athletic championship before losing in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. They’re looking to build upon that success as they move back into their on-campus arena this season. (AP Photo/Laurence Kesterson, File)

Men’s: 

Cincinnati 68-41 Tusculum: 

Our consensus No. 1 in the conference pick, Cincinnati, pulled away with 40 points during the second half in their final tune-up of the season. The Bearcats had a strong overall performance; not a single player on the roster had a negative plus/minus, with Tre Scott leading the game at a plus/minus of 27. Guard Cane Broome led with 15 points and five boards.  

UCF 86-63 Flagler: 

In this exhibition match-up against Flagler University, the Golden Knights were led by guard B.J. Taylor who dropped 13 points with six assists and four rebounds. Taylor had a plus/minus of 18, leading all players. UCF also got a 17-point performance out of center Tacko Fall, who was a perfect 8-8 on field goal attempts across 18 minutes.  

Houston 89-60 DBU: 

Houston guard Corey Davis Jr. was the star in this one, putting up 27 points with four rebounds and two assists over 31 minutes. All of Davis’s points came off of three-pointers as he hit nine of 13 attempts. He only attempted one non-three-pointer. Houston also benefitted from the rebounding prowess of forward Cedrick Allen Jr. and guard Armoni Brooks who each grabbed 10 boards.  

Memphis 95-68 Christian Bros.: 

Despite letting Christian Bros. Joe Laravie drop 26 points, the Tigers still won by 27. Under coach Penny Hardaway, Memphis had four different players reach double-digit points. Jeremiah Martin went four for five from three-point land en route to his 24 total points. Martin posted 18.9 points per game last season. Freshman Alex Lomax was held to just six points, but he also grabbed six steals and had eight assists.  

Wichita State 75-64 Catawba: 

Wichita State’s Samajae Haynes-Jones and Jamarius Burton combined for 35 points to get the Shockers a win to close out preseason. They both also co-led the team in rebounds with five each. The best-named player on the team, Isaiah Poor Bear-Chandler, also added six points in his six minutes off of the bench.  

Tulsa 95-60 Northeastern State: 

Even though none of their starters were able to reach double-digit points, Tulsa still blew out Northeastern State by 35. Daquan Jeffries blocked five shots to go alongside his eight points and seven rebounds. Scott Curran led with 16 points over 23 minutes off the bench. 

Tulane 85-74 Loyola (New Orleans): 

Caleb Daniels recorded a double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds to help Tulane barely scrape by Loyola (New Orleans). Tulane also got a 17-point game from Samir Sehic. They gave up a double-double as well to Loyola’s Myles Burns, who had 11 rebounds and 13 points.  

USF 80-52 UTM: 

USF led this game in every category on their way to a blow-out victory. They put the nail in the coffin in the second half, putting up 44; UTM only scored 24 in the second half. The Bulls were led by two 15-point games from guards Justin Brown and T.J. Lang. 

Women’s: 

Cincinnati 69-49 California (PA): 

Cincinnati’s junior forward Angel Rizor posted solid numbers as she dropped 17 points with seven rebounds and four assists. The six-foot Rizor had 12 double-doubles last year for Cincy, but she has not attempted a single three-pointer in her collegiate career. This is a theme throughout the team, as the Bearcats went a combined 1-6 for three-pointers in this contest. IImar’I Thomas dropped a double-double off the bench, as she was 6-7 with 12 points and 10 rebounds.  

Temple 76-64 USciences: 

Temple spread around the scoring, as they had five different players score 10 or more. Alexa Williamson led the team in scoring with 19 to go alongside her six boards and two steals. Sophomore Emani Mayo spent 37 minutes on the floor with 11 points, two steals and four assists. While this may seem absurd, in her freshman campaign Mayo played the entire game against ECU. Alliya Butts also contributed with eight points and six assists, which was the game high.  

SMU 51-62 Lubbock Christian: 

In senior Alicia Froling’s return to the hardwood, she impressed with 15 points in 25 minutes. She grabbed nine rebounds to go along with two blocks. The young SMU team got a boost from freshman guard Kayla White, who went 6-11 with 14 points in this contest. Amber Bacon also contributed with three steals and three assists. Lubbock Christian was 31-2 last season, with a perfect conference record. 

Mike Mavredakis is a campus correspondent for the Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.quinn-mavredakis@uconn.edu .