Off-Campus Housing Fair showcases everything living off-campus has to offer

Students explore the Off Campus Housing Fair in the Student Union Ballroom Tuesday afternoon. The fair gave students an opportunity to explore their housing options as well as connect with other groups like UCPD, the UConn Fire Department, WHUS and Student Activities. (Nicholas Hampton/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn Fall 2018 Off-Campus Housing Fair offered students a look into different housing options for the next school year. The fair had a circus theme and offered a variety of treats including popcorn and cotton candy.

“We host this event twice in the academic year, one in the fall and another one in the spring,” Ashley Trotter, program coordinator for Off-Campus Student Services, said. “All of these properties, we have contracts with, so they know that they’re renting to students.”

Trotter explained that all properties Off-Campus Student Services has contacts with are in good standing with her office.

“They need to be in good standings with us because we know our students are living there, and we want it to be an enjoyable experience for students living off-campus,” Trotter said.

There were around eight tables dedicated to different property managers including Meadowbrook Gardens, CT Lineage Properties and The Oaks on the Square. The representatives offered general information about room layouts, how close the buildings were to campus, prices of different units, what utilities they included and if they were pet-friendly. The units ranged from one to five bedrooms costing from under $800 to over $2500. Many of the properties are starting pre-leasing soon.

A representative from Carriage House Townhomes said that of their 264 residents, most are students and around 50 percent learned about them through the housing fair.

Each table handed out a variety of different things including pens, candy, shirts and water bottles. Some tables were holding free raffles for gift cards. The Oaks on the Square held a raffle for Apple airpods and an Apple watch.

“Other people that are here are UConn agencies and Mansfield agencies that would assist students in living off campus. Building and housing is here from the town of Mansfield,” Trotter said.

“Transportation and parking are here to answer any questions commuters or off-campus students might have.”

The fire department was handing out fire safety questions that students should ask their landowners, including questions about smoke detectors and other fire safety concerns. The police department explained some of their services and brought their community outreach dog, Tildy. Parking Services had a map of places students could park on campus and addressed other concerns regarding cars on campus.

All students who attended were given a card with a survey that had to be filled out and stamped by two property managers and two non-property managers. Every student who turned their card in got a free shirt. They were then entered into a raffle with prizes donated by each property manager. Prizes included a television, a slow cooker, a popcorn maker and other gadgets.

“It is a fun, free event that we encourage everyone to check out,” said Trotter. For more information on off-campus housing, students can visit offcampushousing.uconn.edu.

Joshua Oculam is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.oculam@uconn.edu.