How to Stop Being Single and Get Ready to Mingle: Dream dorm room dates

With the weather getting colder and windier at UConn, the idea of leaving the dorm for anything other than food and class is beginning to seem impossible. Which means it’s high time to pull out the coziest blankets you own and start planning some very adorable, very intimate dorm dates! (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

With the weather getting colder and windier at UConn, the idea of leaving the dorm for anything other than food and class is beginning to seem impossible. Which means it’s high time to pull out the coziest blankets you own and start planning some very adorable, very intimate dorm dates! Here’s some ideas to get you started:

1. Build a blanket fort! Blanket forts are easy to make and can help bring out the inner child in both you and your date. If you have the standard dorm set-up of one bed on either side of the room, making a blanket fort will be a piece of cake. Just place a desk chair between the foot-ends of the beds facing away from the fort and place the other chair between the head-ends in the same manner. Then take the biggest blanket or sheet you have and drape it from the left bed over the two chairs, securing it to the bed with pillows as weights and to the chairs with either rubber bands or more pillows. Then repeat the same process on the right side of the bed. Once this is done, your fort should look a bit like a tent. If you’d like to make your fort fancier, you can drape a sheet over the back to make a more secure wall and another over the front for a door. Once the structure of your fort is complete, take all remaining pillows, blankets and other comfy things and use them to decorate the inside.

What’s great about blanket forts is that they can really mix up an otherwise run-of-the-mill date. For instance, Netflix and chill can be boring and unmemorable, but if you play a movie inside of the fort you spent half an hour making together, then there’s no doubt that this date will stick in your minds. The inside of a fort can also be the perfect place to get to know each other, and can make an otherwise cell-like dorm seem more romantic.

2. Slow dance with them. Before they arrive at your dorm, pull on your fanciest clothes and neaten up the room as best as you can. You can also try fashioning mood lighting by turning off the main light while keeping just a desk lamp or a string of lights lit. Then all you have to do is blast romantic dancing music like Frank Sinatra or “Earth Angel” (for more of a “Back to the Future” vibe). Once they walk in they’ll be blown away by the cheesy romance, and will hopefully jump right on board.

This kind of date can open up the floor for a more silly relationship and show your partner that you’re willing to be cliche for them.

3. Paint with them. Paints are super cheap at Walmart and are super fun to play around with. Paint them and have them paint you. Say ridiculous movie lines like, “Draw me like one of your French girls,” from “Titanic.” Or make a huge romantic mess like in the pottery scene from ”Ghost.” Just let loose and be creative, they’ll love it.

Arts and crafts dates like this can be incredibly memorable and fun because your partner will have your goofy creation to take home with them. Chances are they’ll want to hang it up too, just because it would remind them of the fun they had when the two of you made it.

So while you’re spending the next four months avoiding the great outdoors, make sure to try new things and mix up your dorm dates so they’re perfect and fun every time

Rebecca Maher is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.l.maher@uconn.edu.