Women’s Basketball: UConn hands No. 14 California its first loss of the season

Christyn Williams has provided the Huskies with explosive athleticism from the guard position during her freshman season. Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus

The UConn women’s basketball team improved to 11-0 on Saturday afternoon after they defeated No. 14 California 76-66 at Haas Pavilion.

The game set attendance records at Haas Pavilion with over 10,000 fans in attendance. The Huskies handed the Bears their first loss of the season. Cal is now 9-1 on the season.

After the game, Cal’s coach Lindsay Gottlieb told fans what the attendance record meant to her.

"This is pretty special. We appreciate you showing up today," Gottlieb said in a quote posted on UConn’s website. "UConn's really good but I think these young women in white deserve that you come back."

The trip to California served as a homecoming game for senior Katie Lou Samuelson. She earned her third straight double-double with 20 points and 11 rebounds. All five UConn starters ended the game in double figures.

The matchup was not an easy one for the Huskies as they fought in the first quarter to take the lead and fought again in the fourth when Cal pulled within six.

UConn’s head coach Geno Auriemma talked after the game about his team’s fight and ability to grind.

“Our margin for error obviously has changed over the years,” Auriemma told Hartford Courant reporter Kelli Stacy. “This is one of those years where we have to be prepared to grind it out every night.”

The game began with Cal taking a quick 6-2 lead which grew to six-points just five minutes in. The quarter ended with the Huskies on top however, after Christyn Williams hit a three to give UConn the 23-20 lead.

In the third, the Huskies outscored Cal 23-14. The Bears never gave up though and clawed their way back into the game in the fourth. Despite the loud crowd, the Huskies maintained their cool and the lead to secure the win.

Cal was UConn’s third win over a ranked opponent and their last game in 2018. The Huskies will not see action again until Jan. 3rd when they take on No. 6 Baylor.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.