Men’s Hockey: Huskies extend losing streak to five at hands of UMass

UConn Men’s Hockey carries the puck into the offensive zone against Brown on Nov. 13, 2018. (Eric Wang/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s hockey team suffered a 7-4 loss to No. 3 UMass Friday night on the road.

This loss marks five in a row for UConn (5-9-1), who haven’t won since Nov. 13th. UMass (12-1-0), on the other hand, has now won nine straight games since their lone loss of the season, which came against No. 1 Ohio State.

UMass got going early, scoring the first goal 1:34 into the game. Then to close out the first period, the Huskies tied the game up and took a 2-1 lead courtesy of Wyatt Newpower and Kale Howarth. The goal marked Howarth’s first for his career. Both goals were assisted by Benjamin Freeman and Ruslan Iskhakov.

Five minutes into the second period, UMass tied the match up from a goal by Marc Del Gaizo. Ten minutes later, they took a 3-2 lead thanks to Mitchell Chaffee.

Just 34 seconds into the third period, Karl El-Mir tied the game at 3-3 with his eighth goal of the season, which was assisted by Jachym Kondelik and Evan Wisocky. In the next five minutes, UMass started to have their way with the Huskies.

About five minutes after UConn tied the game at 3-3, UMass scored three unanswered goals. The first came off of the stick of Chaffee, his second of the game. The next was from Jacob Pritchard, and the third was scored by Bobby Trivigno, giving him two scores on the night.

With less than five minutes left in the game and the outcome all but in the books, the two tams traded goals to make the final score 7-4. Howarth scored the last goal for UConn, giving him his first multi-goal game of his college career.

The Huskies will have the opportunity to put an end to their losing skid with back-to-back games against Boston College. They will play at the XL Center on Thursday and then in Chestnut Hill on Friday. Both games will begin at 7 p.m.

Sean Janos is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu.