Women’s Hockey: UConn splits home-and-home series with No. 8 Providence

UConn Women’s Hockey’s split a home and home series with Providence this weekend. (Kevin Lindstrom/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team hosted the No. 8 ranked Providence Friars (13-3, 9-2 Hockey East) Friday night and then traveled to Providence Saturday afternoon to play them again. The Huskies dropped the first game 4-1 but redeemed themselves with a big 2-1 victory on Saturday.

In Friday’s game, the opening period was very even. Both teams created opportunities to score but failed to do so.

UConn (8-9-1, 4-7-1 Hockey East) came out for the second period in complete control, and after some unsuccessful opportunities, Catherine Crawley gave them the lead 1-0 with a wraparound goal three minutes into the period. It was Crawley’s sixth goal of the season.

After that, it was all Friars, as they took control of the game and scored twice in the second period and twice more in the third, including a last minute empty-netter.

Two of the Providence goals were scored by Maureen Murphy, bringing her to 14 on the season, which is tied for the most in the country for NCAA Division I women’s hockey.

In the loss, UConn goalie Morgan Fisher still had a career game, stopping 43 Providence shots.

“She was great,” coach Chris Mackenzie said about Fisher’s performance. “If we get goaltending like that, we’ll be in a good place.”

Mackenzie also stressed the need to take advantage of opportunities and not leave points out on the ice. He said he wasn’t satisfied with the result on Friday and he expects to win a game like that.

“I don’t think the players in our room are looking to hang with teams,” Mackenzie said. “We haven’t seen a team we can’t beat this year.”

Mackenzie got what he was looking for the next afternoon, and the result was the 100th win of his career.

Saturday’s game started similar to Friday’s with a scoreless first period. This time it was Providence who scored first on a breakaway goal six minutes into the second period. Both teams got called for three penalties in the second period as well.

The Huskies came out firing in the third period and tied the game at 1 apiece on a rebound goal by Briana Colangelo less than two minutes in. Colangelo also scored the game-winning goal eight minutes into the period on a shot by Morgan Wabick that deflected off Colangelo’s skate and into the net. The two goals brought her total to five on the season.

After a night where the defense did little to help Fisher, they allowed only 22 shots in the win and Fisher saved 21 of them.

The win snapped the Friars nine-game winning streak and gave them their first home loss of the season. It was also UConn’s first conference win in three weeks.

Now, the team will go on their winter break, and they won’t take the ice again until Dec. 30, when they will face off with Dartmouth at home.

Danny Barletta is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.barletta@uconn.edu.