Ariana Grande’s music video for “thank u, next” features over 15 cameos

Ariana Grande’s iconic music video for “thank u, next” references “Mean Girls,” “13 Going On 30”, “Bring It On” and “Legally Blonde” as well as featuring some actors who starred in the original movies such as Jonathan Bennett who plays Aaron Samuels in “Mean Girls.” (@arianagrande/screenshot)

Ariana Grande’s iconic music video for “thank u, next” features various popular 2000s movie references as well as over 15 cameos from famous actors and pop culture stars.

The video references “Mean Girls,” “13 Going On 30”, “Bring It On” and “Legally Blonde” as well as featuring some actors who starred in the original movies such as Jonathan Bennett who plays Aaron Samuels in “Mean Girls.”

In the “Mean Girls” scenes throughout the music video, Grande is joined by her ‘plastics’ group that included Elizabeth Gillies, who played Jade on the Nickelodeon TV show “Victorious”. Grande plays Regina George, queen bee in these scenes. The “Mean Girls” scenes that were reenacted include many cameos such as Troye Sivan, Gabi Demartino and Kris Jenner.

Most of the cameos are seen in the montage during the “Mean Girls” segment. Sivan plays the openly gay character Damian, who is pushed against the locker by Grande playing Regina George. Demartino is a Grande look-alike who plays the girl obsessed with Regina George. Jenner plays the cool mom of George who takes a video of the plastics during their talent show performance. Lastly, Gillies plays Cady Heron who looks similar to Lindsay Lohan in the video.

Grande also appears as the luxurious Elle Woods in the reenactment of “Legally Blonde.” This scene features Jennifer Coolidge, who is in the original movie as Elle Woods’ best friend and hair dresser. Grande reenacted the iconic “bend and snap” flirting scene in the original movie.

Scenes from “Bring It On” made a huge appearance in the music video with the romantic and cheer-off scenes. The first portion is the flirting scene in the bathroom while brushing her teeth, her romantic interest is played by Matthew Bennett, who was also Grande’s love interest in Nickelodeon’s “Victorious.” Other members from “Victorious” make cameos such as Daniella Monet as a cheerleader on Grande’s squad.

The music video also reenacts scenes from “13 Going On 30,” another popular teenage movie from the 2000s. These scenes do not feature any cameos but it does represent the break off of Grande’s engagement with Pete Davidson, which she mentions in the lyrics of the song.

The music video doesn't just utilize huge parts of pop culture with these movies, but also showed the audience many familiar faces.

Rating: 5/5

Madison Appleby is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at madison.appleby@uconn.edu.