Coming To a Device Near You: New to Netflix this December

There are a ton of Netflix originals coming out in December including the post-apocalyptic horror film “Bird Box”, “Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle”, and “Ellen DeGeneres: Relatable”. (Wikimedia Commons)

With finals looming, one thing getting me through is knowing that I’ll be able to relax with binge-worthy content over break. In just two weeks it will just be me, a cozy spot on the couch and the new TV shows and movies on Netflix. Here’s a taste of what we have to look forward to.

There are a ton of Netflix originals coming out in December including the post-apocalyptic horror film “Bird Box.” The film stars Sandra Bullock, Sarah Paulson and Trevante Rhodes of “Moonlight.” The plot follows Malorie (Bullock) and her two children as they try to avoid a creature that makes you see your worst fears if you look at it. The film is sure to intrigue viewers who liked “A Quiet Place” for its use sensory deprivation and horror. “Bird Box” will be released on Dec. 21.

An even more star-studded Netflix release is “Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle.” The Netflix remake stars Cate Blanchett, Christian Bale, Benedict Cumberbatch and Andy Serkis, just to name a few. This live action film will likely take a darker spin on the 1967 animated film “The Jungle Book.” “Mowgli” will be released on Dec. 7.

Another Netflix original to look forward to is the holiday special episode of Netflix’s other recent remake “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: A Midwinter’s Tale.” Set to be released on Dec. 14, fans of the Netflix series won’t have to wait long. The special episode looks back at one of young Sabrina’s holidays during which the Church of Night once again conflicts with her mortal celebrations.

If you missed it in theatres, “Avengers: Infinity War” will be available for streaming on Dec. 25. Be warned: You may need a box of tissues on hand while viewing Marvel’s biggest film to date.

You can also look forward to some big name comedy specials and documentaries with Netflix’s “Ellen DeGeneres: Relatable” on Dec. 18, “Michael Jackson’s This Is It” documentary on Dec. 10 and “The Bill Murray Stories: Life Lessons Learned From a Mythical Man” on Dec. 31.

The full list can be found at https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/new-on-netflix/.

Alexis Taylor is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at alexis.taylor@uconn.edu.