Horoscopes for the holidays

Here's what you need to know about your horoscope for the week. (CSky65/Flickr Creative Commons)

The skies will be changing a lot in the next month while we’re all scattered throughout Connecticut and further: Mercury is going Station Direct again on Thursday, which is good news for everybody, Mars will enter Pisces on Dec. 31, Uranus will go station direct Jan. 6 and Venus will enter Sagittarius Jan. 7. This should lend clear heads and open hearts over winter break.

Aries (March 21- April 19): If you stay inside all break, you’ll go stir-crazy. That’s a guarantee. So go to work, go skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, sledding, just go for a walk to see everybody’s Christmas decorations. Do something outside, do something active or you’ll be begging for the semester to start up again.

Taurus (April 20 -May 20): Practice saying no. You’re going to run into Christmas cookies at every corner this month; if you give in every single time, you’ll need more than a New Year’s resolution to help you next year.

Gemini (May 21 - June 20): This holiday season you’ll run into somebody prepared to show you the duality of the season. While some are cozy under blankets with a pine-scented Christmas tree and red and green wrapped boxes, others are pinching pennies to afford a turkey for Christmas day.

Cancer (June 21 - July 22): Your family needs you this season, Cancer. Prepare yourself for lots of arguing: Who gets the last slice of pie, which Christmas movie you should watch, who slept with whose boyfriend, who overfed the fish until they died that one time when you were seven. Maybe more so than ever, your family is going to argue. As cheesy as it may be, you are the one who can remind everybody of what’s really important.

Leo (July 23 - August 22): New Year’s Eve is going to be your holiday. The brash gaudiness of gold plastic party decorations, the fizz of carbonation, the buzz of alcohol, the confident promises that this will be the year your resolutions come true, you’ll be in your element. Until the first morning of 2019 when the party is over and you have to decide how you actually want the year to go.

Virgo (August 23 - September 22): Watch out for signs that your life is becoming a Hallmark movie. If you run into a mysterious old man named Nick, if you tell all your friends and relatives that you’re putting your career first, if you find yourself on a mission to save a struggling bakery/bookshop/orphanage, if your family takes a surprise visit to the small town where you grew up and the neighbor across the street is unusually excited to see you . . . Enjoy your time off, Virgo, but beware of cheesy romancing and significant family moments.

Libra (September 23 - October 22): You’re going to find yourself in the middle of an argument this holiday season. Whether you’re the angry one, or trying to mediate between two friends, it’ll do you some good to take a break, watch some holiday movies, do a puzzle and clear your head before facing the problem again.

Scorpio (October 23 - November 21): Just because it’s Christmas time doesn’t mean that bad things can’t still happen. Trust your instincts; If something seems like it’s heading south, you’re probably right. Don’t let all the holiday cheer turn you naive.

Sagittarius (November 22 - December 21): Over break you’re going to remember something you need to do at the last minute: maybe paying your fee bill, or buying Christmas gifts or making New Year’s Resolutions. If you hustle, you’ll have just enough time to finish - after you remember, that is.

Capricorn (December 22 - January 19): The sun is coming into your house and leaving before we get back on campus for the spring semester. That means you can spend an entire month of being awesome away from school. You don’t have to waste your awesomeness on studying or papers or exams, use it all for yourself. Hang out with your friends from home, spend some time with your family, go to Boston or New York and drink really good eggnog.

Aquarius (January 20 - February 18): You’re going to have an “aha” moment over break. Maybe it’s because of the time to yourself, the time to think and relax and recharge, that you’ll make this amazing epiphany. You’ll just be in a mundane place, like your dining room table, or sitting on a park bench (as one casually does) or lounging on your bed with Netflix open. And something will just click.

Pisces (February 19 - March 20): Your goal for break: Get so into relaxing that you forget which day of the week it is. Read some books, volunteer somewhere, have a snowball fight, write a story, finish your Christmas shopping, but most importantly, do it all leisurely, so you can smell the gingerbread and taste the snow in the air.

Alex Houdeshell is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at alexandra.houdeshell@uconn.edu.