Melissa’s Menu: Southwestern-style quinoa salad

Tasty’s southwestern-style quinoa salad  simple to make and is packed with great flavor. (tasty.co/screenshot)

Tasty’s southwestern-style quinoa salad simple to make and is packed with great flavor. (tasty.co/screenshot)

Making the time and effort to cook for yourself can be difficult, especially as the end of the semester and finals are rapidly approaching. It can be easy to fall into the habit of eating unhealthily or skipping meals all together, but this is never a good idea. Fueling your body before a study session or an important exam is essential to doing well—eating a balanced diet can actually help improve your memory and performance. This week’s recipe is perfect for students who don’t want to go overboard with cooking a complicated meal but still want to eat something nutritious and filling: southwestern-style quinoa salad. It’s simple to make (it can be made in one pot!) and is packed with great flavor. It’s both vegetarian and vegan and it’s a great lunch or dinner option for anyone looking to keep up with a healthy diet during finals week.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
3 cloves of minced garlic
1 minced jalapeño
15 ounces of black beans
15 ounces of corn
3 roma tomatoes, diced
1 cup of quinoa, rinsed
2 cup of vegetable stock
1 tablespoon of chili powder
2 teaspoons of cumin
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
1 avocado, cubed
1 lime, juiced
Fresh cilantro, to garnish

Directions

Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and jalapeño and cook for about two minutes, or until softened. Add the black beans, corn, tomatoes, quinoa, vegetable stock, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir, then cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender. Transfer the salad to a serving bowl and top with the avocado, lime juice and cilantro.

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.