UConn Men's Golf Coach Named to 33rd PGA Minority Collegiate Championship Advisory Council

A member of the UConn golf team practices his shot. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The head coach of the UConn men’s golf team, Dave Pezzino, has been named to the advisory council for the 33rd PGA Minority Collegiate Championship and PGA WORKS career expo.

“The mission of the PGA Minority Collegiate Championship Advisory Council is to align PGA staff, with college coaches, athletic administration and related golf and business leaders to establish a collaborative environment designed to share expert perspectives and drive strategic planning that can enhance our overall program, while consistently shaping the narrative of the PGA Minority Collegiate Championship and PGA WORKS Career Expo moving forward,” event manager Scooter Clark said.

The Minority Collegiate Championship is a 54-hole, stroke play event that is open to all minority men and women student-athletes in various levels of collegiate golf as well as those enrolled at one of PGA of America’s PGA Golf Management University programs.

What makes this event unique compared to others like it is the PGA WORKS Career Expo. Student-athletes are exposed to a plethora of internship and work opportunities right at the event, and major golf companies are in attendance for networking and career developing sessions.

“Each year this program gets stronger, backed by the quality of the players participating, combined with the involvement of national corporations and organizations in the career expo. It creates unmatched networking and career opportunities for our participants,” Clark added.

The event’s conception dates back to 1986 when the founders sought to elevate the play of minority schools by providing student-athletes with an opportunity to compete at a high level during a time when they were excluded from many golfing events.

Pezzino enters his 12th season at the helm of UConn golf and has undeniably elevated the entire program in his tenure. Last year saw UConn golf finish in the Top 5 six times and included a win at the 2017 Connecticut Cup, Pezzino's 11th tournament win since arriving to Storrs. One player from last year’s team was named to the all-conference team along with a slew of other postseason accolades that included two players named to the All-Northwest region team.

Kevin Arnold is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu.