Five fantasy stars of Week 13

Kansas City Chiefs running back Spencer Ware, left, is congratulated by quarterback Patrick Mahomes after scoring against the Oakland Raiders. (AP Photo/Ben Margot)

As the fantasy football regular season comes to a close for most, there are a savvy few players continuing their seasons into the playoffs. Congratulations to those who made it, and to those who didn’t, well, you’ll get ‘em next year. As this is the final fantasy stars article of the year, I wish you all good luck.

Quarterback Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs: 32 points standard, 33 points PPR

Mahomes furthered his MVP case with a stellar performance against the Oakland Raiders, leading the Chiefs to a 40-33 victory. He threw for 295 yards and four touchdowns, making it the seventh time this season he has thrown at least four touchdowns in a game. The next highest, Andrew Luck and Drew Brees, have done so just three times each. He also rushed nine times for 52 yards, both his highest in the season.

Patrick Mahomes has been everything owners have hoped for this season and more. On average he was the 16th quarterback taken in drafts and currently ranks as the No.1 QB in fantasy football. He was taken well behind quarterbacks like Kirk Cousins, Carson Wentz and Matthew Stafford who rank No.12, No. 19 and No. 20 respectively. He still has one of the best supporting casts in the NFL even without Kareem Hunt, and with the Chargers right behind the Chiefs, he shouldn’t be slowing down any time soon.

Quarterback Josh Allen, Buffalo Bills: 28 points standard, 28.7 points PPR

The Bills have been massively over-performing this season, and Josh Allen is one of the main reasons why. Allen threw for 231 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions while also rushing nine times for a shocking 135 yards. Despite losing to the Miami Dolphins 21-17, Allen managed to keep the Bills in it for the majority of the game, which when you consider his supporting cast is definitely an accomplishment.

Allen missed Weeks 7 through 11 due to injury, and despite the Bills being just 4-8, Allen is responsible for three of those wins. Yes, he does have some accuracy issues, but that will come with time, and when he gets some decent weapons around him, it will help even more. Now that he is also an apparent rushing threat, his fantasy value increases. In fact, with a matchup against the Jets next week, Allen might even be worth starting; however, as it’s playoffs time for most people, it probably isn’t worth the risk.

Running back Todd Gurley II, Los Angeles Rams: 28 points standard, 31.5 points PPR

After a week of almost no production and then a bye, Gurley got back to his usual dominance vs the Detroit Lions on Sunday. He rushed the ball 23 times for 132 yards and two touchdowns and picked up another 33 yards on three receptions, accounting for just under 50 percent of the Rams’ total offensive yards.

This was Gurley’s eighth game this season where he recorded over 100 scrimmage yards and the fifth time he has had at least two touchdowns. He leads the NFL in scrimmage yards and total touchdowns and is second in the league in touches, only behind Ezekiel Elliott. Gurley has been the best running back in the NFL by a long shot and should only be sat if he is not playing.

Wide receiver Keenan Allen, Los Angeles Chargers: 22 points standard, 36.8 points PPR

Keenan Allen was a PPR monster Sunday night, and his ability to get open was one of the main reasons the Chargers were able to complete their comeback over the Pittsburgh Steelers. He caught 14 passes for 148 yards (both season highs) and one touchdown. After an eight-week long touchdown drought, Allen has scored in four straight games. With games against vulnerable Bengals and Chiefs defenses coming up, he should be a good bet for WR1 numbers.

It has been a rather disappointing season for Keenan Allen, who after a breakout season last year has seen a slight downwards turn in production. While he by no means has been bad, he just hasn’t been the weekly WR1 that most people expected when drafting him. He is still must-start caliber, and with the Chargers in the thick of a division race, he shouldn’t see a decrease in usage or production.

Tight end Travis Kelce, Kansas City Chiefs: 26 points standard, 38.8 points PPR

The most dominant fantasy tight end in all of football had his best game so far this season, catching 12 passes for 168 yards and two touchdowns. He was Mahomes’ main target and even accounted for over 50 percent of his completions and yards. This is his second game in a row with double-digit receptions and the fifth time this season he eclipsed 100 receiving yards. After recording just one catch for six yards in the first game of the season, he has not had a single game with less than 45 yards and five catches, something that is rare for the tight end position.

Travis Kelce is essentially a WR1 that you can stick in your tight end slot. If he were a wide receiver, he would rank No. 5 in standard leagues and No. 6 in PPR leagues, ahead of “superstars” like Julio Jones and Odell Beckham Jr. Aside from Zach Ertz in PPR leagues, no tight end even comes close to matching Kelce. He’s a beast, and like Mahomes, he still has a reason to play every game. Start him, and you automatically have an advantage over your opponent.

Jorge Eckardt is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.