One Summer jobs, infinite possibilities

McMahon Residence Hall. (Photo by Majdolin Al Jajeh/The Daily Campus)

A One Summer job will give student workers new experiences every day on the job, Vincent Walker, Interim Assistant Director of Housing Services, said.

“Staff will get a variety of different responsibilities from week to week, as most days never feel the same,” Walker said.

One Summer jobs are part of the One Summer team that manages all the housing needs for students and guests who are on campus during the summer, Walker said. With many moving parts, including working with University Events and Conference Services and Dining Services, the work will always be changing.

“Students should apply because it provides them with a different on-campus opportunity than most positions,” Walker said. “It will give them the ability to grow and learn and be able to serve guests in the summer.”

The job positions that are available are assistant and supervisor, Walker said. The One Summer assistants’ primary responsibility is to make sure the summer students and conference guests’ needs are meet.

“The [One Summer assistant’s] main duties are to prepare and organize various elements of housing for summer school residents and conference groups as well as provide quality customer service,” Walker said.

The One Summer supervisor oversees specific conference groups and residents and helps with event planning, he said.

“[The One Summer supervisor] directly assists with both groups’ event planning, customer service and execution,” Walker said. “[They] provide leadership to the One Summer assistants to ensure that a high level of customer service and professionalism is maintained.”

Both positions work from May 14 to Aug. 25, Walker said. During this time, workers’ compensation includes an hourly rate, housing and partial meal plan.

There will be two upcoming information sessions on Jan. 23 at 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m and Jan. 28 at 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., both at Werth Forum.

“The information sessions will review the two positions, what we are looking for in applicants, summer timeline and a general overview of the One Summer Program,” Walker said. “We will also overview the application process timeline and what to expect during the group and individual interviews.”

The deadline to apply is Feb. 1, 2019.

Rachel Philipson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.