UConn defeats Saint Louis in Senior Homecoming Game

Napheesa Collier had her number retired at Incarnate Word Academy on Monday prior to UConn’s 98-42. (Judah Shingleton/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s basketball team defeated Saint Louis 98-42 on Tuesday night, extending their regular season winning streak to 123 wins.

This was the first all-time meeting between the 8-0 Huskies and the 4-5 Billikens.

UConn scheduled the game in Missouri as a homecoming game for senior Napheesa Collier who hails from O’Fallon, Missouri. On Monday night, Collier’s No. 24 jersey was retired from her high school, Incarnate Word Academy. Collier still wears the No. 24 at UConn. In high school, Collier was named the Missouri Player of the Year three times.

As soon as the ball was tipped, the Huskies commanded the game against Saint Louis. Junior Kyla Irwin made her first collegiate start for UConn as sophomore Megan Walker was feeling under the weather. Fittingly, Collier was the first player to score. With a little over five minutes to go in the first quarter UConn was up by 11 points. The first quarter was closed by a tough layup by junior Crystal Dangerfield.

During the second quarter, freshman Olivia Nelson-Ododa got a lot of minutes. By the end of the game, she had earned her first double-double in her collegiate career with 12 points and 10 rebounds.

By halftime the Huskies were up 46-20.

In the second half the Huskies’ lead continued to balloon, but the Billikens never stopped fighting. They got some good layups and steals on UConn.

The Huskies came to Missouri after defeating Notre Dame 89-71 on Sunday. On Monday, UConn was named No. 1 in the AP Poll. They have been now been No. 1 in the poll a record 237 times.

Freshman Husky Christyn Williams was named the American Athletic Conference and ESPNW player of the week after her performance versus Notre Dame. Williams scored 28 points in the matchup.

Auriemma said he was proud of his team’s fight in Sunday’s matchup.

“We found a way to answer everything,” Auriemma said in the postgame press conference. “There wasn’t anything that went down that we didn’t have an answer for.”

Next up, the Huskies will take on Seton Hall on Saturday at the XL Center. The game is slated to start at 1 p.m. and will be broadcast on SNY and ESPN3.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.