Merry holiday munchies to snack on this season

With the arrival of the holiday season comes the prevalence of all sorts of holiday desserts. (Photo via Food Network)

With the arrival of the holiday season comes the prevalence of all sorts of holiday desserts. Get in on the fun by making one of these easy recipes and sharing it with your loved ones!

Hot chocolate on a stick from Tasty

Bring 1/2 cup of heavy cream, 3/4 cup of condensed milk and 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to a simmer over medium heat. Pour 2 cups of semisweet chocolate chips into a heatproof bowl, pour the cream mixture over them and let it sit for one minute before stirring to combine. Spoon the mixture into a silicone mini muffin tray, top with marshmallows bits (they’re essentially mini mini marshmallows) and insert a popsicle stick into each cup. You can either freeze mixture for two hours or refrigerate it for four hours. Serve by dissolving one portion in a mug of hot milk.

Old-fashioned gingerbread from Betty Crocke

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Using a mixer, beat 2 1/3 cups of flour, 1/2 cup of shortening, 1/3 cup of sugar, 1 cup of molasses, 3/4 cup of hot water, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of ground ginger, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon of salt and one egg on low for 30 seconds, constantly scraping the bowl. Turn the mixer to medium and continue for three minutes, occasionally scraping bowl. Pour mixture into a greased and floured 9x9 pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Serve warm or cool with butterscotch sauce.

Oreo balls from My Recipes

Process 36 Oreos in a food processor until they are just finely crushed. Mix crumbs and one 8 ounce package of cream cheese (at room temperature) with a mixer. Roll the mixture into small balls and freeze on a tray for 10 minutes. Melt a package of white candy coating according to package directions. Fully dip balls in melted chocolate. Place them on a tray in the fridge to harden.

Snowman banana nog from Food Network

Blend 5 cups of whole milk or oat milk, 1/4 cup of confectioners sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, 1 teaspoon of grated nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon of ground allspice and four sliced and frozen bananas in a blender until thick and creamy. You can make the snowman jars that are shown online, or just pour the drink into other glasses and serve topped with whipped cream, nutmeg and confectioners’ sugar.

Sugar cookie truffles from Pillsbury

Bake one 16 ounce package of refrigerated sugar cookies according to package directions. Let the cookies cool for five minutes on a cookie sheet and then shape cookies into balls. While the cookie balls refrigerate for 10-15 minutes, melt a package of white candy coating according to package directions. Dip the cookie balls into the coating and place them on parchment paper-lined tray to set. Immediately after placing them on the tray, decorate the cookie balls with holiday sprinkles.

Stephanie Santillo is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at stephanie.santillo@uconn.edu.