The playlist you need to hear this holiday season

“All I Want for Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey

Though this song is vastly overplayed, it is guaranteed to get you in the Christmas spirit. The Mariah Carey version was released in 1994 and is still played on the radio excessively during the holiday season, so I give Carey props for this one.

“It’s Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas” by Michael Buble

Buble is another artist with an iconic Christmas album. This song always reminds me of decorating the tree and hanging Christmas lights.

“Santa Tell Me” by Ariana Grande

This song is an original Christmas song by Grande featuring the sounds of traditional bells throughout. The song is catchy and upbeat, the perfect feel-good Christmas song. She has her own flare along with an unmistakable Christmas beat.

“Rocking Around the Christmas Tree” by Miley Cyrus

Cyrus covered this holiday classic and certainly does it plenty of justice. Though Cyrus is known for her pop music, her strong country influence suits the song perfectly. She gives the song the perfect amount of twang and vocal riffing.

“Carol of The Bells” by Lindsey Sterling

Sterling is known for her extravagant violin performances and this Christmas classic is no different. The song is dramatic and the excitement is reminiscent of an action scene in a movie.

“Last Christmas” by Ashley Tisdale

If you’re a late 90s baby, you may remember when Tisdale released her version of “Last Christmas.” It has such a nostalgic vibe and that's why it’s a must-listen Christmas song.

“Hoping for Snow” by The Vamps

The British band “The Vamps” released a Christmas EP back in 2015 which included this original Christmas song. The song is reminiscent of “Last Christmas” but with its own je ne sais quoi. The song has a great, heartfelt quality, especially for a Christmas song.

“Hallelujah” by The Vamps

This is a classic song on many Christmas playlists. You can't have a Christmas playlist without a little gospel and soul. I particularly care for this version because the lead singer has vocals that match the song particularly well.

“Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)” by Michael Buble

This is yet another Buble classic. This song is feel-good. It reminds you of people dancing at a Christmas party.

“Shake Up Christmas” by Train

This song is a relaxing tune that makes you want to let go. The song is reminiscent of the happiness that comes with being around loved ones during the holidays.

“Happy Christmas (War Is Over)” by Maroon 5

Maroon 5 does a beautiful job covering an iconic Christmas song. This song is slow yet nostalgic, making it a must for Christmas time.

“Santa Baby” by Wolf Alice

Wolf Alice brings angst to the classic Christmas song “Santa Baby.” The song is spun in such an original way and that's why it deserves a spot on every holiday playlist.

“Christmas Lights” by Coldplay

Coldplay displays a feel-good, piano-centered piece about celebrating Christmas in a warm area. This perspective is unique and is displayed beautifully with powerful piano chords. It’s reminiscent of a sing-a-long.

Madison Appleby is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at madison.appleby@uconn.edu.