UConn Track in Field Will Participate in Two Multi-Event Challenges at Home before Break

Ben Grosse will represent the Huskies for the two multi-event challenges. Photo by Charlotte Lao, Photo Editor/The Daily Campus

Today and tomorrow, the UConn men’s track and field team will be participating in two multi-event challenges in Storrs at the Hugh S. Greer Field House. Due to the nature of the event, the team will only be using one participant to represent UConn.

Coach Greg Roy said he would be going with sophomore Benjamin Grosse to represent them in the event, as Grosse is the most prepared for the event.

“He's the only athlete that will be competing in the multi this year,” Roy said.

Roy said that adjusting and preparing for this kind of event can be hard, but he has faith in his athletes.

“In the multi-event there's a lot of learning involved, so we’re interested to see how he does,” Roy said.

Roy said he does not gameplan or scout other teams much in preparation for the events.

The team is coming off an impressive showing at the Sharon Colyear-Danville season opener, and Roy said, going into the long winter break, he is very excited for the team’s season.

“We did have a very good first meet. We are very young and are redshirting, but I was very pleased with the whole crew,” Roy said. “Everyone competed really well with very little exception.”

With the team heading into winter break, Roy said it’s hard to keep the players in peak conditioning with facilities not readily available to all the athletes.

“We've got a big six-week break going into our next competition, and that time is all on their shoulders,” Roy said.

Roy said he does his best to give the athletes the proper instruction to keep themselves healthy and fit when they're away from school.

“We give them a lifting program, training program, but it is problematic because not everyone has access to a facility,” Roy said. “When sometimes there's 12 feet of snow on the ground, it’s hard to get these guys to run outdoors. So, with no indoor facilities, it makes things challenging.”

Today’s event will be at noon and Friday’s will be at 11:30 a.m.

Daniel Dashefsky is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached at daniel.dashefsky@uconn.edu.