MLB Column: I’m taking my talents from South Beach

In this June 24, 2017, file photo, Miami Marlins' J.T. Realmuto hits a three-run home run during the first inning of a baseball game against the Chicago Cubs in Miami. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky, File)

The collapse of the Miami Marlins organization is like a train wreck you can’t look away from. The organization, already struggling, took on new ownership this season and sold off like…everyone their fans know and love. With Christian Yellich finally leaving for the Brewers this past weekend, I think it’s worth it to take a look back at how this all happened.

This team began as the Florida Marlins, a 1993 expansion team. They went on to win two World Series titles within a decade, both followed by periods of selling off their best players and rebuilding.

Now, after eight straight losing seasons, MLB owners approved a team buyout led by, among others, Derek Jeter. Immediately stating they were intending to rebuild, top Marlins players wanted out. It all started with Dee Gordon, who the Marlins sent to the Mariners along with cash considerations. This coming after several players elected free agency.

Then we come to MVP and All-Star Giancarlo Stanton. His massive contract, along with a no-trade clause, made his exit extremely difficult for the Marlins ownership, who ended up taking a loss as Stanton went to the Yankees.

Next up, All-Star Marcell Ozuna went to the St. Louis Cardinals. Bringing us right up to the Christian Yelich trade to the Brewers. Tensions were high with Yelich and the ownership, inevitably leading to his agent recently requesting a trade.

"There was a lot of stuff this off-season that was out of the norm," Yelich said. "For me it's almost more of a relief that it's over, and get back to playing baseball and doing what I love to do... I'm just excited for the fresh start."

The initial plan was to cut payroll to $90 million, roughly a 20% decrease. Stanton alone was initially owed $25 million for the 2018 season and represented a massive decrease in payroll, but the ownership didn’t stop there. The most recent hit taken by Marlins fans is that now, J.T. Realmuto has requested a trade.

The fact is, this is a difficult situation to come into. It’s not easy to rebuild a team, particularly when pieces you thought would be in place (as the Marlins thought Stanton would be) are constantly asking to be moved elsewhere. At this point, I don’t think there’s enough evidence to make an argument for or against this new Marlins ownership. For now, it looks like a really unfortunate set of circumstances. Only time will tell if this rebuild will inevitably be worth it.

Rachel Schaefer is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.